Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a fasttrack fit?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ecameron87, Feb 22, 2006.

1. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

I am looking into getting a fasttract soft top for my 72 K5. The only thing is that I have recently installed a family style roll cage. You can see it here:
    http://www.wheelingarizona.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6377

We fabbed it together with the top on so a hardtop fits perfectly.
    Will a soft top fit?
    Will I have troubles when I go to take the soft top down, or in other
    words, will the hoops fold backwards without interfering with the cage?
    How loud is the hard top when cruising?
    Does anyone run A/C with the soft top on? How well does it work?

Thanks for your help.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya I think it will work..but! you may not beable to use the two front bows...the most important bow in the rear one and it looks like it will clear your cage at the back...the center it is hard to say if it will beable to go over your cage...prolly not..
    I have a 6pt cage in mine w/ fastrac top
    [​IMG]
    I could not use the front bow..no biggie really
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    See the back goes all the way back to above the gate
    [​IMG]
    Hope this helps....

3. ecameron87

ecameron87 1/2 ton status

Yeah, the pics help a lot. I have been looking at your setup in a previous post, Burt, which is why I was thinking about getting a soft top again. It looks like they used 3/4 conduit to make the hoops. I wonder if I could re-bend some new hoops to make it fit. Make is slightly longer/taller. It should be a pretty cheap fix. This might be a way to get it to fit tighter as well. I did this once with a Samurai soft top and it worked great.
    Thanks for the pics.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya probly would work. You could do it on a hot sunny day with the top nice and warm so it streaches. Once you get it on nice and snug leave it on for a few days so the material 'seats' in...could work:D

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

hostly I"m going to say it's not going to fit. that's the boat I"m in now with mine is we built the family cage within an inch of the double wall top and it's too tall or the soft top. The fabric may stretch some but not that much, especially with the windows in. So I'm going to cut my cage down slightly so it will fit.

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I agree you will not know for sure until you have the top.
    If you are willing to change your cage to fit the top I would get the top first so you know exactly what changes to make :D
    One detail I left out is without the front bow installed I cannot use the window frameing that the top came with....for me this is fine as I don't care much for all that extra hardware..
    Good Luck
    Burt