Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will a front drive shaft c/v knuckle work on the rear shaft?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TIGHTWORK82 K5, Oct 6, 2002.

1. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

just wondering if anyone has tried that?

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Kind of... you have to get a CV type yoke or flange though.

Since a 78-79 Bronco uses a CV on the rear of an NP205, You could pick up one of these t-cases, and swap the rear output and yoke into your truck. I think it lets you run a 1330 series joint.

3. TIGHTWORK82 K5

the part I am refering to, accepts two u joints just a coupler sorda thing. I was thinking of ataching it between the yoke and the shaft just needs another u joint. ????? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Noooooo. While it looks like that is all there is to it - there's more.

Saginaw CV

The flange and shaft are connected inside the coupler with a funky ball/socket joint. If you ran it the way you're thinking, you'd have the same effect as running a two-piece driveshaft without a support bearing /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The Spicer version uses a yoke instead of the 4-bolt circular flange. The 78-79 Bronco uses the Spicer type. The yoke is specifically for a CV. A non-CV yoke will not accept The Spicer CV.
    Spicer CV

That's about it for factory rear CV's. Othwise you can check out these guys:
    High Angle Driveline

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I did this before I bought my High Angle CV to my np203 with the fixed yolk. I took a cv from the front and adapted studs to the cv so it would slide onto the fixed yolk and house the first CV U-joint. I retubed the shaft and used it for about 6 months with good success. I imagine it would be a bit more difficult to adapt it to a slip yolk though but possible none the less with a little wleding, drilling and tapping.

6. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

7. TIGHTWORK82 K5

I am dealing with a 208 t-case, and I guess a 1350 slip yoke out the rear, you can see how much is out in my pics on web shots, look in the new engine section. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif