Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a full size p/u fit on a u-haul tow dolly?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddin4fun, May 3, 2003.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Anybody know? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A K5 won't, so since the full size pickup is the same width, then it won't fit either. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A K5 won't, so since the full size pickup is the same width, then it won't fit either. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are phords narrower at all? Cause that's what I'll be pulling

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Can't help with that. I dumped my last Ferd in 1980. Haven't owned one since!

5. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

Are you talkin about the drive on or just the two front wheels. I pulled my truck from St Petersburg, Florida to the Texas line on the drive on one. Used stock GM 8 lug steel wheels with real small tires and aired em down after I got it on.

6. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

Yes, they will fit, with only the stock rims & tires. Just strap them down over the axle tubes instead of the tires.You might scratch your hubs a little.
    My local U-haul has two diff. dollys one is a little bigger. Laters /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Fords are wider. The trailer we put my K30 on was too narrow to haul an F250 w/ a TTB front axle.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I tried to rent a U-Haul trailer a while back to tow a parts truck.

The person on the phone asked me several questions...

"Does your vehicle have a weight distributing hitch?"

Yes.

"What are you towing?"

85 Chevy 3/4-ton 2wd... unladen, less engine

<long pause>

"Sorry... we don't have anything for you."

What about those flatbed tandem trailers you have with surge brakes?

"They're not meant for anything that large"

/forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Granted, I was unprepared for this line of questioning. Things have changed from the time you could just show up with cash in-hand and drive away with a trailer for the day. (Or maybe you can still do this at some places)
    Next time you can be certain I'll be towing a Pontiac Firefly /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I will tell you about my adventures with Uhaul. I rented a tandem axle trailer from them to tow the blazer from Wa. to Moab, about 1200mi. one way. I had a hell of a time getting it to fit between the fenders even with small a$$ tires on the front. The hubs were hanging up on the fenders. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifAlso after total desperation and the 4th Uhaul store the K5 turned into a CJ5 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I will have to say the trailer did ok on that trip but I think I would not do it again(I'm looking to buy my own trailer)
    I have also pulled their dollys. I have pulled a Datsun very very good idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifMore recently I pulled a '82 K20 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif, very very very BAD idea! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifWhen they say do NOT back up they mean it! I put the rear on the dolly as it is narrower, still not a good idea. I only had about 10mi. to go and I was thinking I wanted to take it half that distance.
    So there is my Uhaul experances, take them as you will, and stay off the roads when you see me at your local Uhaul. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status

Did the U-Haul full trailer with the Blazer on it from Dallas to Portland.

11. bigjbear

Tell them it's a '92 Pontiac B'ville. It will get you the right width w/o the hassle. You will still need stock size tires, though

12. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

By towing something other than the specified vehicle on the rental contract you void the contract (and insurance) and you can't even imagine the consequences if anything bad happens. All the questions they ask are for a reason. Don't screw with them. I won't tell you where I work, but I will tell you I'm sick & tired of going to court over this exact topic. Rent safe, or use somebody other than U-Haul!

13. 77ChevyK10

77ChevyK10 1/2 ton status

I got the trailer not the car dolly and it was a B**th to get the thing from U-Haul. I took it 150mi one way. Come to find the K10 4x4 shortBed did not fit in the rails. So puck it up from the front with a backhoe and set it on. It bent the rail out.

14. bigjbear

Don't want to start a flame war, but renting a trailer is one of the biggest PITA out there. If I wreck it, my bad, I pay. Maybe I'm just not letigious (is that a word? if it is I'm sure I spelled it wrong) enough for the modern world.

15. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

What BAD4WD said, it will with stock rims & tires only. It's tight but it will work. I did put my Blazer on one once but had to drive over the fenders and felt bad about it. My hubby is a U-Haul dealer, so I haven't had any problem renting from them /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

16. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

You're missing the big picture. There are weight and size restrictions for a reason. Kill yourself off-road if you want. But, please take into consideration the OTHER drivers on-road. Thanks.

17. bigjbear

OK, but when it fits onto the trailer and is within the weight limit whats the big deal?

18. muddysub

muddysub I Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my little gmc c-1500 2dr short bed fits on a uhaul trailer. we told them we were towing an s10.

19. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[​IMG]

Just put small tires on the front and if you have to let some air out of the tires (watch that they dont have a slow leak or the straps will get loose on you). I have hauled many full size trucks with Uhaul tow dolleys and the only time I had a problem was trying to turn around on a dead end street with that 66 GMC (it wasnt running at the time to unload it).

20. muddinmike

muddinmike Registered Member

So why doesnt u-haul just get some damn trailers that you can load a fullsize on? obviusly they would stay rented out just fine............