Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a locker improve a 2wd for winter use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OffRoad, Dec 4, 2005.

1. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

or would a limited slip be better?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  2. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

id say no but a limited would and i say that because if your driving snow the rearend will try and walk you around if you dont have hubs in the front to lock in to help keep it in line itll be fun just my 2 cents

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

2 rear wheels driving in the snow is not easy. likes to come around and meat the front.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you don't drive it aggressively a locker in the rear is great in the snow. It takes a lot more throttle input to lose traction. The rear end doesn't spontaneously come around on you...

A LS would be no different as traction isn't going to be high enough to overcome the pre-load.

When my truck had an open rear I'd always use 4HI in the snow, it was pretty much a necessity. Once I got the Detroit locker I found 2HI is just fine for most everything, except the steep hills.

Rene

5. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Lockers are great for turning both wheels at the same speed (straight). Limited slip needs slip to limit (spin). I have the Richmond PowerTrax in rear of the Burp, no snow experience yet, but for rain & mud, it doesn't come-around. In fact, the inside tire chirps, left or right, on dry. It was easy to install too.:D

Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

<HIJACK>

Rene, your new avatar is a hoot! I mean, Hong Kong Fooey or whatever his name was is cool ... but that lumberhockeyjack is soo ... well, CANADIAN, you know ... it's like Angry Beavers meets Red Green :haha:

</HIJACK>

-- A

7. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

you know about angry beavers?!?! :laugh: that show is funny!

=======
    i can't see how the locker would make the rear end come around on the snow unless i was flooring it. i'd prolly buy a lockright, unless it was a 3/4 ton truck.

8. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I for one am removeing my rear detroit as soon as i get home. Driving in the wyoming snow and ice is a little on the tricky side as compared to driving with a full detroit in phx year round. I'm going with front and rear arb's so i have it when i need it. The oilfields out here can get a little hairy at times.

Doug W.

9. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

no doubt arbs are nice. they're just too much money for me.

10. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

i pefer the locker in the snow to an open anyday
    my 2wd open diff f150 is a PITA to drive in the snow always spinning one tire when trying to start up and not knowing when one tire is going to break loose or when both will and the rear come around

my blazer with a locker is great no complaints at least it is predictable

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[reply to hijack]

That is the original logo for the Vancouver Canucks well before they ever played in the NHL. Prolly goes back to the 40's or 50's (I'd have to look it up). He was called "Johnny Canuck"...

Edit: Johnny Canuck has been around since the 1860's, but the Johnny Canuck logo was the old Vancouver Canucks logo from '46.

http://www.canuckscentral.com/hbeforethenhl.shtml

[/hijack]

Rene

12. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Last night I took my Burb for a drive for the first time in the snow post Detroit install. I wanted to see if the experience was as "white-knuckle" as many on CK5 say it is.

I was able to drive quite normallly in 2wd. Traction was superb with the 2" of snow that was on the roads. Driving with the locker was similiar to driving with my old limited-slip. I had to goose the throttle to lose traction at all, of course I did that around a few corners.:) I never considered pulling the t-case lever.

So, I guess my experience was quite reassuring. I love my Detroit. :D :D

13. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Tires make a big difference....Some of just plain suck in the snow, but a set that works good clears up a lot of those issues....

My torn apart 'Burb needed to be locked into 4xd all the time, for even simple stuff. After changing the tires out, it was unnecessary to pull the lever....

14. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

would it be as predictable with a short wheelbase vehicle? (80" wb samurai)

15. Tominator II

Tominator II 1/2 ton status

My DD is an 87 Caprice w limited slip that works well. I commute over a 11,000 foot pass on the continental divide year round. I always have good tires in the winter. This year I am running mud & snows w big lugs that are heavily siped. I pass every kind of vehicle up and down grades. Granted I am a little bit crazy but I love passing Subarus, Forerunners, Large and small trucks, Audi Quattros, all jeeps, etc. with my 350 dollar government surplus car. Limited slip helps a lot but the tires are the big difference. Weight in the rear helps also. I rolled off the pass backwards at 55 once in my 73 K30 because I hit black ice which is rare in CO but my tires were on the way out of tread. I rarely use 4wd in my trucks cause I have good tires on them also. My Detroit lockers are for serious dirt and rock use. I have 2 4wd vehicles w Detroit lockers.