Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a new steering box fix this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90K5, Aug 26, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I know my steering box is in bad shape. It leaks a lot and has some slop in it. What I can't stand is how my steering wheel won't stay in the center. I have a 3" lift, and a 2" drop pitman arm. The drag link is real close to level. Also have the ORD brace, and the frame is not cracked. Around here, the streets are really bad and the wheel gets knocked around a lot. I just aligned it the other day and it was perfectly straight, and the truck tracks straight if I let go of the wheel, just the wheel will be off. This really gets on my nerves a lot. Will replacing the steering box fix it, or should I just live with it becasue its a characteristic of a solid axle truck with crappy GM steering? Thanks

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah the adjusting sleeves are tight and the rod ends are new. I also tightened up the box about a year ago if that matters.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

sounds like the drag link isn't tight enough. that's the only thing that really adjusts the straightness of the wheel itself.

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thats what i would have thought too, but when I did my alignment, I cranked it down pretty good.