Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a steering stablizer help?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85chevy4x4, May 20, 2002.

1. 85chevy4x4

85chevy4x4 Registered Member

I've got an 85 chevy 3/4 ton with a 6" lift and 35" tires. I finally got it on the road this weekend. Whenever I hit a bump it wants to go all over the road. It is actually kinda scary. After 2 days of driving it seems like maybe the springs and shocks are starting to break in and it's riding better. I still would like to be able to control it a little better. Will a steering stablizer help it? Should I buy a single or dual? What is a good kind to go with?

2. YtseJam

YtseJam 1/2 ton status

With the 6: lift you need to change the steering arm also. If you didn't the drag link will be pointing at the sky, see if that has been replaced, a dual steering stabilizer will definately help but first make sure there is no play in any of the steering linkage, or the steering box, and that steering box is secured to the frame and no cracks around the steering box.

3. 85chevy4x4

A steering arm came with my trailmaster 6" lift. It sounds like i'm gonna be buying a new steering stabilizer.

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

What tires did you come from? Reason I ask is that bigger tires will pull one way or the other quite a bit more than stock tires. While I would highly recommend a new stabilizer (or even a dual one), there could also be a learning curve here as well for getting used to the bigger meats.

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> Yup, check your steering box to make sure it's not cracked ......... I'd hate to see you spend your hard earned cash on a steering stabilizer just to find out your frame is cracked by the steering box. No matter what though, you should buy a dual stabilizer for tires over 35".

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so is it the dreaded "Death Wobble" or just bumpsteer?

7. 85chevy4x4

I checked the box and no cracks. It needs a steering stabalizer. Also I didn't lower my swaybar. Could this have something to do with it? When I hit a large bump it seems like it catches air for a second and then it wants to either go to the right or left. It has a stock stabalizer but if it's like the shocks I took out it's trashed. I could collapse the old shocks with one hand.

8. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I would say that if you can afford it buy the following stuff ......... new set of shocks, these will make a world of difference .... dual steering stabilizer, also a big difference ... and fix that swaybar ....... do that and you'll be very happy !

9. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Jumpimg in on your post ;-)

I am also in the market for a dual steering stabilzer. What are you guys running?

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

How can you fix the stabilizer? I need to do this...Can I get a 2x2 piece of iron and bolt it on between the frame and mounts? Would that mess anything up? Thanks...yeah, a stabilizer will help a little. I just went from no stabilizer to one I got at AutoZone and it seemed to stiffen it up a little. You really don't need to spend a lot on a stabilizer, think about how much a shock has to move, and then how much a stabilizer has to move...a big difference...mine was $25 and works fine.

11. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Is no-one running a dual stabilzer setup?

12. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> I'm running Pro Comps dual set up ..... I like it a lot !

13. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

I'm running a dual Rancho kit. It helped eliminate (hide) a lot of my steering problems.

14. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I've got a single on there now but have a double rancho kit that was on there before I switched to 3/4 ton axles. I had pulled the dual set off before I sold the 1/2 ton axles and haven't gtten around to putting it back on. The single was on the 3/4 ton front already.

15. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the ord disconnects will help relieve bind in the swaybar.
    you could just unbolt the swaybar and wire it up out of the way for testing purposes
    go for a drive and see if the bar was the culprit or bumpsteer is the culprit