Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a Suburbans rear axle fit under my K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUKE, Oct 1, 2002.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I know it will fit, but do I have to relocate anything? I would hope that it should bolt up perfectly. The local yard has a set of axles (havent seen em yet so I coundt measure it all out. What is going to be instore for me when I swap em out?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Should be a direct bolt in if its a 3/4 burb. 1ton rear axle will have a different perch width. I believe you will need different u-joints for both front and rear(someone will correct me on that if i'm wrong)

3. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

thanks, yeah they are 3/4ton axles, sorry. Do you mean different u joints than before or front and rear u-joint are different from eachother?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I believe (not 100% sure) that the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton u-joints are different, so you would need a trick u-joint which you can actually buy from napa, cause your front and rear shafts will be 1/2ton and your axles will be 3/4ton. But now that I am thinking about this, i don't think the front axle driveshaft ujoint will have to change, i do know the rear will. Someone jump in and say something if i'm wrong.

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Front should be the same. Your rear U-joint on the rear shaft will have to be swapped to a conversion joint. Your 1/2 ton has a 1310 yoke and the sub axle will have a 1350 yoke. Your emergency brake hook up might be different as well. Depending on the year model the banjo bolts in the calipers switched from Imperial to metric as well. All are minor problems that a trip to the parts house can fix