Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a TBI 454 bolt and plug in place of a TBI 350?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Dec 13, 2004.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I just bought a truck with a TBI 454 that only has 96k miles on it (will be my lowest mileage engine ever!!) and am going to put it in my burb. Now what I need to know is if the electronics are exactly the same between the two engines. I've heard that there is an extra sensor you have to wire in somewhere but I need details. Should I swap out the computers? My burb is a 91 and the parts truck is a 91 and both have 4L80E's so that will work out just dandy. I would like to get this all done in one day if possible. I am only planning on adding a set of headers to the 454 other than that it will stay stock. Thx

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I dont think theres an extra sensor, I did an 88 burb to a 87 truck 454 swap, a few of the plugs were different (just swap ends, the wires are the same colors). Swap computers. Other than the diff plug ends, and maybe one or 2 extended wires, shouldnt take more than 2 days.

3. K5HIGH

K5HIGH 1/2 ton status

change the computrs not sure on the rest but definitely worth the work, id swap out the 454 anyday!

4. afroman006

So where exactly is the computer and how do I get to it?

5. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

computer location

The computer is either behind the glove box or behind the passenger side kick panel.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The computer is tucked away up behind the glove box. Just pull the glove box and you will see it up there its a silver box. You really dont need to swap the whole computer just need to swap chips. But its prolly just as easy to swap the whole thing out.
    The only other difference between the 2 is the IAC and maby the TPS but as said in above post just cut the wires and splice on the plugs you need. Use solder and shrink wrap to do the splices. Everything else should plug right in.

7. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

Is this the old body style 91 back truck like your sub or is it the newer body style 91 like the 1988 to 1995 body style trucks. I think there is difference in the computer but I will ask my brother to night he is the wire nut around. Is the truck for parts a 2wd or 4wd?

bigred81

8. afroman006

Its a newer body style single cab 2wd dually.