Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will a th350 last behind a 454?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, Feb 5, 2003.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

just as the post says. i already went through one tranny cuz the torque converter let loose. so i replaced the tranny and torque converter and it did great up till a kid at my school stole it and ruined my 350 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif so i bought a 454 and am gonna try it. this will pretty much b an offroad truck, but will b a dd sometimes. i also have 3/4 ton axles so that isnt much of a problem past the tranny. so tell me what u think. thanx

NITRO

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Mines been living fine. I am just careful about overheating it. I run extra cooling and a deep pan with a temp guage. If its starts to warm up, its sits and cools off. My 454 is built strong and I mud race it. Its been a year and a half.....

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

No tranny is indestructable (even a manual). Auto's are a funny bunch as there are alot of things that CAN go wrong. Manuals "can" be beefed but not in the same ways autos can. A good converter is a must, if it goes it can spew fine metal shaving throughout the tranny. Good clutches, steels, bands, etc. Somebody knowing what they are doing in a rebuild can make a huge difference too. A big problem with stock 350's was the input sprag. A 454 can put alot of stress on it and cause it to fail (alot depends on the skinny pedal). I would say run it, and "if" it does fail find out why. Usually it's a sprag or input drum. I would then rebuild it using all HD parts and not worry. My tranny guy swears by them for some of the Mud trucks around here (bigger tires than I'll ever need), and actually prefers them over a 400. He does admit a stock 400 will spank a stock 350 due to the weakness of the 350's stock sprags but in a rebuild that can be easily remedied.