Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will a Vortec motor fit in an 87 blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DUKSRULE, Sep 14, 2005.

1. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 TBI Blazer that needs a motor. My question is, will the TBI intake bolt up to the Vortec heads? The motor is a 99 model. Also any other possible problems with this swap?

TIA

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No. Proper TBI to Vortec intake is about $300 to stay emissions legal, can do a carbed Vortec intake w/TBI adapter for less, but won't be emissions legal.

3. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Hey Dorian,
    If one were to run the carb intake, what do you suggest doing about the lack of EGR?
    Can EGR be deleted from a prom safely?

4. dyeager535

EGR can be deleted, but you need the chip burned obviously.

It looks like *perhaps* '87 trucks didn't use ECM controlled EGR's, but from what I can tell, the 88-91s would monitor EGR operation and throw a code if it is disconnected and the PROM is set up for it.

5. thebigdaddyof2

What gives you the indication that the '87 didn't use EGR??

I happen to have a set of '87 GMC service manuals that descibe the testing and the ecm operation/control of the egr.

From what I can tell, if the vehicle is above 50mph (VSS) and the TPS voltage does not change during the test, the ecm shuts off the vac to the egr and looks at the O2 sensor for a rise in the fuel integrator counts.

So, if one were to build a motor with Vortec heads and a Vortec carb intake while deleting egr AND never traveled faster than 50mph (like a trail only rig), do you believe egr would necessarily need to be deleted?

Or is it just a matter of turning off one bit and forgetting about it?

6. dyeager535

There was some discussion before that not all the TBI trucks used an EGR control solenoid. The oldest proof I could find for an EGR solenoid was 1988. So I had nothing authoritative saying 1987 had a solenoid.

Yeah it's a simple check box in programs like tunerpro. On/off and thats it.

If you are swapping heads, your going to need to mess with the PROM anyway, it's that simple. The timing is going to be nowhere near correct.

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Todd-

Strictly from my experience, I had no issues what so ever on my 89 Burb that I dropped in a Vortec 350 with the EGR delete. The light would trip on the highway randomly, but would never cause any adverse effects. Also, the light would turn off once you turned the truck off and restarted it. My ECM didnt seem to concerned with it.

Additionally, I talked to a few chip burning shops and customefis, all of which reported that it was not necessary to have a chip burned to simply remove the EGR. They told me to just deal with the light unless I really felt like spending $250-300 for a new chip.

Just my $.02

8. dyeager535

That would be the ECM running the EGR test, which it fails, and trips the light.

Obviously that's not going to cause any real issues, so sorry if that's misleading, but to get rid of the light you have to program it out of the ECM. It won't dump it into limp mode or anything because the EGR doesn't work right.

9. thebigdaddyof2

Sounds good to me!!