Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will adding diesel to gas increase octane??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by arq, Jan 15, 2003.

1. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i'm reading this huge boring tech document and my mind is stating to wander into the blazer world. anyhow, since diesel has a higher octane rating will adding diesel to gasoline increase it.

i have done it before, i had like 10 gal of gas in the tank and wend to pick up some diesel for the tractor. prepaid a bit too much and i did not want to go back into the store so i poured it(~gallon) into the blazer tank. i have close to 10:1 compression on my engine and premium prices are high. i need an alternate solution.

ARQ.

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Diesel is not rated in octane, it is rated as cetane. Diesel has a higher flashpoint which in the right combination may cause the mixture to burn slower...... As for raising the octane of gas, I doubt it.

John

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Iv'e heard rumors that octane booster is basically just deisel fuel. Put in a few gallons of regular on an empty tank and a couple of cups of deisel and see if it pings...</font color>

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i acidently put 5 gallons of diesel in my gas tank once.it smoked like hell till i burned out enuf of it to ad more regualr gas to thin it out.took like 3 tanks full to get rid of the smoke and pings and backfires.

5. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

actually, i think just the opposite. If you add gasoline to diesel, it will increase the Cetane rating. It also works good to clean the injectors. I wouldnt do it too often though, Injection pumps are expensive.
    But back on your idea of increasing Octane. Mothballs in gasoline works very well for increaseing octane. Dont know the amounts and ratio's to use, but ive heard many times and from lots of different peeps that this works. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Desiel in gas is not a good thing.
    We had one of our lease rigs brought in on the hook.
    Idiot driver filled the tanks with gas.
    He said it was nearly empty when he filled em.
    We had to pump out the tanks and since it was going to be picked up the next day I figured since I was nearly broke and at a 1/4 tank or so I would dump 10 gallons or so in it and fill it the rest of the way with clean gas.
    Good idea gone bad.
    After about 3 minutes or so I asked what the tank was at and one dude looked in and said full. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    Although it smelled like raw gas it wasn't.
    My rig ran like crap for 2 days untill I burned enoughh of it out to get 10 gallons in it and 2 cans of octane boost.
    Fouled the plugs, smoked like a train... embarasing to drive I tell ya.
    We figured from his reciept that he put 85 gallons in and we took out 91.
    A little bit would have been fine prolly but damn near a full tank was a bit much.

7. chevyracing

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Mothballs in gasoline works very well for increaseing octane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too sure but I though moth balls also gummed up the fuel system.

Anyway, I could not imagine catching enough moths' to get their balls that would make a diffence... It would take several thousand moths, figuring an average of 2 balls a moth, assuming all you caught were male moths......HMMMM..maybe I am wandering a bit here.

John

8. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

that is the best reply yet. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I say Put Diesel in your Diesel , and Gas in your gas motor. Cheap horsepower gains like that usualy cause more harm than good.

9. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I once put a 1/2 gallon or so in with a full tank of gas to *supposedly* help with vapor locking (along with cloths pins on teh fuel line) from what the old timers told me to do. Next I replaced the fuel pump and was done with th problem.

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have *heard* you can mix in kerosene to increase the octane of fuel.... never tried it but heard it a few places..

I've tried the 108+ booster stuff and the nos octance booster but my 11:1 big block still pings...
    I buy 5 gallon drums of 114 and mix it in. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but at almost $5.00 a gallon you were asking about a cheap solution weren't you! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Where do you go for gas? I always go to 76 for quality gas. Seems like other places have cheaper gas sometimes.

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

WANTED: Dirty moths to rape for their balls! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Ryan,

Have you ever read the "octane booster" bottles carefully????

They say they will increase your octane by "7 points"......so for 91 octane, that means a bottle of 104+ Octane Booster will increase that to 91.7 octane!!!

The main ingredient in octane boosters is Toluene... you need to use a LOT of it to get a meaningful increase in octane (like Gallons!)....which is why a "cute" little bottles of octane booster are a joke.

You can buy Toluene in gallon containers at paint stores (I think it's a solvent for cleaning brushes, etc) and mix it into you gas that way. I know I've seen websites that explain the ratios and how to calculate it all. It's something like $5/gallon, so it really ends up being just as expensive as buying "race gas".....

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

We ran Kerosene in an old Toyota Landcruiser once when we ran out of gas on a camping trip. The thing pinged and backfired around every corner but it got us home. I dont know about the diesel thing. Seems like it would be a very common trick if it worked.

14. chevyracing

This is a true story,
    My Dad had a Dodge Caravan, a newer one. He was driving it here from the South a couple of years ago when we were having the 105 degree heat wave between here and Arkansas. The van kept wanting to cut out and acted like it was vapor locking. I called Limon Chrysler (AKA. Slimon Chrsler) and described the problem to them. They said "Oh yeah, we see that problem all of the time, the fuel is getting too hot and the vehicle is vapor locking due to the fuel trying to reach it's boiling point in the tank, all you need to do is put about a quart of diesel fuel in a full tank and that will lower the boiling point of the fuel and should resolve the problem" I was like, yeah right.... So I called a couple of other dealers and they confirmed that was true.

When my Dad made it here by limping the van in (without diesel fuel in it) I checked it out, replaced the fuel filter and the world was a good place again.

One of the dealers that recommended this "fix" was Limon Chrysler. (719-775-2881) I talked to "Chuck", he is the Service Manager. He can probably elaborate on the subject a little more.

John

15. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

what about AV gas we got some at a local gas station 100 octain Ive always wondered if it would hurt anything espically because Im pretty sure its leaded. BTW its only like $2.50 a gallon /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

16. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

17. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

drop in a 6.2 or 6.5 and tell all the local fast food places that you will dispose of thier grease from the fry makers. then add a bit of keroseen to thin the grease and run it.
    guy did it with a VW rabit back in oregon. it ran better in my opinion.
    Grant

18. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

AV gas works, when i used to fly (1990-1991) it was 104 it is leaded, but considered "low lead" and its safe to run in your car.

19. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

The moth ball trick is an "ole school" drag racer trick.

Maybe your thinking about sugar cubes /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've heard about that before too. You just have to filter it real good is all.