Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will all years fit?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by silver, Jan 27, 2003.

1. silver

silver Registered Member

i'm looking into buying a hardtop for my 70 and i was wondering if someone knew if all 69-72 tops will fit mine. any help would be great
    thanks

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

There are 2 types of top. One is a "double wall" which bolts on from the bottom. The other is a "single wall" which bolts on from the top. Either of which will work for you as long as they are from a '69-'72. The tops from '73-'75 are very diffrent and con NOT be made to fit. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

all the tops from 69 to 72 should fit.they only had minor differences through the years.my truck had holes for both the single and double walled top so also either of those should fit.

4. '72brett

'72brett 1/2 ton status

I guess I have the single wall version. It bolt from the top. Which one is the better top? single or double?

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Single-Wall is considered more desireable by the majority of folks....

Less rattling, 2 dome lights, and easier "on and offs" due to the bolting system being up top.

6. chulisohombre

id say the single wall would be the better.as grim said it is a lot light er i think about 100 pounds,so it is a lot easier to get on and off.the double wall has problems ive heard with sagging in the middle after time.mine is double wall and it is not sagging yet.im going to be getting a half top on friday i found at a junkyard.so my blazer will sort of look like a second generation in the summer.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

anyone got pics of the difference in bolt styles? ive only ever spotted two blazers in my life and both no tops on them.

thanks

8. chulisohombre

i dont have any pictures because my top is on.but i can tell you wjat they look like.the holes that the bolt goes into for the single wall are just a nut inside of the bedrail that can slide a little in either direction.the double wall is just a hole drilled through the bedrail so that the bolt can go up nto the center of the top.the holes for the bolts in the double wall are set into the fiberglass on the top.i hope this is worded right for you to understand and happy hunting.i had to buy a parts blazer to get the top off of on ebay.cost me 350 dollars but i got more than that in parts and sold it back on ebay for 125 dollars.

9. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Here is my bed rail.I have a single walled top.The holes for my top are treaded and are the primered holes in the pic.The other holes are for the double walled top and are not threaded as the bolts pass through the bedrail and thread into the top.
    [​IMG]
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

good description i understand it, /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bob, thats a clean shot of bed floor and tub of a k5 !! are all them out there thats solid shape no holes rotted through ??? no holes ate all way through the gate or anything ?

damn!

11. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I'm pretty lucky.My truck orig. came from Arizona(dry and warm there)I had some surface rust on the tailgate and bed from poorly sealing seals on the top but a H/D wire wheel on a angle grinder and that took care of that.Just sprayed some generic rubberized undercoating on afterwards.
    Here is a before pic
    [​IMG]
    This is what I used to clean up the bed.
    [​IMG]

after
    [​IMG]