Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will an 84 tailgate fit a 90?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by W7NB, Mar 28, 2007.

1. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I plan to pick up UYB's tailgate this weekend. The one on my Blazer is munched and looks like it was painted by a drunk with house paint - after slathering on some bondo and not even sanding it! Buit hey it was free and had working glass...

Anyway, will an 84 tailgate fit a 90? I know it's manual glass but I don't care that much as I have another tailgate I plan to move the power guts into eventually.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  2. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Anybody? I would like confirmation before I go pick it up. I would hate to drive 280 miles round trip and end up with a 'gate that won't fit.

I know I could probably get one closer but his is the right color and looks fairly clean.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Yes, it will fit. 73-91 is all the same. They did make modifications in later years to accomodate the power stuff in power windows and some slight modifications to the torque rod entrances for squeaks, but those mods will fit earlier years. The only special gates are 73-76? I think, in 77 they started to offer power gates and added brackets and holes inside it, so power stuff will not bolt inside a 73-76 gate, but the gate itself will bolt in a truck of any year.
    Manual crank is more reliable than power anyway.

4. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they were the same through all those years. (Not helping you much)

Good Luck.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It's the same, EXCEPT I believe the wiring changed right about '84. Old style rubber connector vs. the weatherpack later on.

6. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Thanks! I'm switching from power window to manual window so I'll just seal it the connector off with self vulcanizing tape and tie wrap it under the body.