Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will an 85 Front Clip fit on my 76?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pmpski_1, Mar 16, 2006.

1. pmpski_1

pmpski_1 1/2 ton status

Will a front clip from and 85 Crew Cab fit directly on my 76 Blazer without modification? I read that the cowl was redesigned and it will not, but I wanted to double check. Thanks!

2. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

it will with mods

you will have to cut off the frame horns at an angle like the 81-up are, and swap wiper arm shafts and pocket the firewall for the 81up hood hinges and modify so that you can bolt the 81-up cowl panel to the 80 older cab and some other mods

whats wrong with the crew cab ?

good luck

3. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

It will, but the hood is different, different hinges. When you say front clip do you mean the fenders and everything or just the grill etc.? I did a whole body swap with a 82 from a 80 and everything bolts together. Your windshield wipers and hood are different and the panel around them.

4. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

What do you mean by "cut off the frame horns"?

5. pmpski_1

pmpski_1 1/2 ton status

I haven't seen the crew cab yet, but the asking price is cheap. I have a wrecked drivers side fender and while looking for a replacement I found an entire front clip. I know I need some replacement hood hinges as well so thought about getting the entire thing at once. I really just want a bolt on replacement and don't want to get into any fabrication or having to replace other parts just to fix a fender.

That being said, what years will be a direct bolt on? 76-79?

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

1973-80 will bolt up.

81-87/91 will go, but as said, will require the WHOLE front clip (including radiator support, I believe) and a ton of work. Some people do this 'cuz they like the newer style. Me, I prefer the old one ... and swapping a 73-80 fender in is a heck of a lot less work :)

-- A

7. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The very front of the frame horns are angled back on 1981 on up trucks . They use different bumper brackets than the fully "C" channelled 1980 on down section.
    NOTE : some VERY early 1981 production trucks used the front frame horns built like the earlier 1980 and down stuff so those brackets might be different all together - just a note incase a donor parts truck is used.

Tom

8. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I didn't think it was that much work, the problem is rust. I bet you could swap them out in a good afternoon of work. You can get new fenders for a pretty reasonable cost from LMC.

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I did this on mine...

back in 1989... I put a 1984 front clip on my 78
    was easy.... the cowl just sits there... you bolt it on the cab... put wipers back on....

only tricky part was the hinges.....
    you have to cut a hole where the hinge that goes to the cab is and wedge your fingers in there with a nut to bolt the hinge on... other than that..easy...
    did it when I was 16

• 1979 Frame and bed
    • 1980 cab
    • 1984 Front Clip
    • Craiger SS Spot-weld center dish rims
    • 33's
    • Dana 44 front w/3.73's
    • 14 Bolt Corp w/3.73's
    • Chevy 350 4 bolt
    • NP203 Transfer case
    • Turbo 400 Tranny
    awww so different than what i have now

[​IMG]

11. pmpski_1

pmpski_1 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I'll look for a 73-80 fender. They're not as rusty up here in the Pacific NW and I want to do as little work as possible. I have too many projects going on or I'm just lazy. :)

12. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

dont know how much shipping is... but I buy my body parts from a local company in S NJ.... called Certa-Fit in Pennsauken NJ.... fenders are $45 each, hood = $75, tailgate = $45.. these are not skins but actual whole pieces.. now they are aftermarket and not as thick of metal.. but I bought 2 doors @ $53 each!!!!! all holes in the right spot, everything was right :wink1: