Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will an alignment cure my dog tracking?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hardcore_rob, Jan 14, 2003.

1. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

People keep telling me my truck is dog tracking, I assume it needs a 4 wheel alignment to cure this since, it has happened since i put my lift on.
    Am i right in thinking this? Or is there something else I need to do to stop the truck from doing this. From what i can tell, measurements are very close, doesnt seem to bee off very much.

2. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

Your rear axle is actually 3" shorter than the front so it appears that it is.

Chris

3. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

so it might not be dog tracking after all? or appears that it has the right measurements? dog tracking should be noticble am i correct? it seems to be pretty straight when i drive...

4. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

For the most part, I beleive all 4x4's dog track. However, when trucks are lifted and have bigger tires, it seems to be more noticible. I wouldn't worry about it. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

The rear axle is 3" Narrower than the front axle. (1.5" on each side) This causes a look of dog tracking when viewed from behind. All of the solid axle chevys did it.

6. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

If you just lifted the truck with rear lift blocks you may have a centering pin problem on the rear axle. measure down from the front eye of the rear spring to the front of the lift block. do this on both sides and compair the measurement. If the difference is more than a fraction you may have the spring centering pin in the wrong hole in the lift block. This is very easy to do, (ask me how I know!) and will cause moderate dog tracking.

7. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I get that all the time but I tell people to look at the body line, not the tires and then it looks better to them. It's because of the axle widths.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's pretty easy to tell if it's actually dogtracking, just spray the street down in front of your house with water then drive the truck straight through it fairly slowly. You'll be able to see all of the wet tire prints and easily determine if it is tracking crooked or not. </font color>

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Better yet...grab a tape measure and measure the wheelbase on both sides of the truck. If it's dog tracking it will be significantly different on one side. K5's should be awefully close to 106.5"

Rene

10. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

What's dog tracking?

11. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    What's dog tracking?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Looking for a dog with a gps tracking system.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif j/k

Dog tracking would be when your truck is driving down the road croocked. Like the truck is pointing at a ditch but actually traveling down the road. Hope that helps.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I don't think it has to be all that different in order to drive crooked, besides that, what are you going to use as a baseline to measure from? The hubs are too deep in the wheels, and the tae would have to bend around the tire to get to the rim. the tire seems like a poor place to measure to... To do it accurately you'd have to pull the tires off and put the thing on jackstands, but it would have to be supported evenly from all 4 corners so the suspension was perfectly level. Just seems easier to hose down the street and look at the tracks.</font color>

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Measure from the back of one to the front of the other...simple. You're not looking for accurate wheelbase, just a good comparison from one side to the other. I had a spring center pin break a long time ago...the wheelbase was off by over an inch from one side to the other.

Most of the problem here is it rains often enough that using wet pavement is impractical.../forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yikes, it was off by an inch!? I gotta think that you felt that in the seat of the pants... I noticed that my truck started tracking crooked about a year before it was parked, when I put the 14b in I found out it was because the right side spring pin was completely sheared off and that side of the axle had moved forward about 1/4". </font color>