Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will any old (1982) stuff work on a 96 vortec?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by vortec, Oct 17, 2005.

1. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i came across a 96 vortec 350 longblock, today, for a good price. i know the intake manifold from my 82 350 won't fit, but would it be possible to use the 82 water pump, and other v-belt accessories? how about distribitor? mechanical fuel pump with q-jet (for at least a little while)? 700r4?

i've never tried mix and match like that, but i need to keep cost down in the short term. i'm thinking bolt holes are different for serpentine setups, and the old alternator probably is too wimpy, but can't hurt to ask.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

distributor and accessories will work. You need a stronger starter(Vortecs have good compression, something like 9.6:1). I killed an old style starter trying to start a Vortec all the time(cheaped out in my DD, big mistake). The fuel pump however most likely will not work. I know the block off plate is there, but there is no provision for a mechanical fuel pump. Either the eccentric is not on the cam or the hole for the puhsrod isn't there, I forget but it won't work. Just get a cheap fuel pump and fuel regulator off ebay or summit. I picked up a really nice regulator for $100(I paid more then I had to because I wanted a return line and this regulator can be adjusted so I can use it with fuel injection when I upgrade), and a Holley Blue pump on ebay for like $50.

3. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

hmm, i hadn't really thought about the starter being the trouble spot. but that does make sense. thanks for the heads up. and i'd be able to run the same brackets for accs. ? or would i need to pick up some universals or something? unfortunately, i don't have both engines side by side to compare bolt holes.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

vortec stuff is the same for accessory mounting and transmission, but they are the one piece rear main, so hopefully you got the flexplate or flywheel that it had. AFAIK the water pump bolts up the same way, so the '82 water pump should be fine. The blocks aren't reverse cooled or anything one off like that.

Alternator shouldn't be an issue no matter what, engine itself doesn't care how many amps the alt is.

5. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Actually, on my vortec block, it has a provision for a mechanical fuel pump, and everything bolts up the same except for the flywheel (1pc is different) and of course the manifold if you choose to use the vortec heads. One thing to note is that my block is a four bolt production block that has the same casting numbers as a ZZ4 block, so the fuel pump thing could be different. If the pump does work, make sure you have a cam that will run a mech. pump, and you will have to change valvetrain components if you are using a flat-tappet or non-vortec-type roller cam.

edit: another thing to note is that the block has provisions for new or old style starters. (the inline or staggered hole types)