Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WILL AXLES FROM RAMCHARGER FIT 88 JIMMY

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5canuck, Feb 20, 2003.

1. 88k5canuck

88k5canuck Registered Member

I'm looking of upgrading my 10 bolts. I guy in my area is selling front dana 44 and rear dana 60 with 4.56 gears and detroit lockers. They were in an early 80's Ramcharger. So my question is due I just have to cut off and reweld the spring perches or is there more to it. I figure the dodge will have a different center to center distance between leaf springs. I know the rear driveshaft will have to be cut off and rewelded with a different yoke. But not sure what else might differ from a chevy dana 44. Thanks for your help.

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i believe the spring perches on the rear on one inch wider total. and i think the early 80's dodges are passenger drop so it might just bolt in?

3. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

Hello from another Canuck!

SOunds like a long and involved process. Will require rewelding the spring perches, you might be able to find a conversion u-joint so you don't have to change that. You also have to worry about your rear-end pinion angle too

If you don't get this perfect, IE spring perches in the exactly right position, your truck will crab walk(drive straight but your frame will not be parallel to the road). Getting this done right takes talent, and time..... most people don't take this time or they don't have the talent to do it correctly.

Personally I'd find a 14FF and do that swap unless this is a really good deal!

4. 88k5canuck

88k5canuck Registered Member

Sounds like it might be more work than it is worth. Rewelding the rear spring perches isn't too bad. I got a guy that can do it, but I don't want to mess with the front dana 44. I just bolt it up. Changing the yoke on the rear driveshaft is no big deal. Will have to be done for 14 bolt anyway. And yes they are a good deal. Both axles with detroits and 4.56 gears for about $700-$800 canadian. The rear dana 60 looks like there is more clearance than 14 bolt too. I haven't seen any posts like this yet. So I figured I would pick your brains.
    Thanks for your help.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i believe the spring perches on the rear on one inch wider total. and i think the early 80's dodges are passenger drop so it might just bolt in?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct about the spring perches.
    However, fourwheeler did that a few years ago and didn't change the pad location, they pulled the springs onto the pads and they said it made it flex easier due to the arch that the axle goes through when drooping and stuffing.
    I would do the same if I were you.
    You can always go back and relocate them if you see a problem.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Moving mounts & pearches is pretty common. I still plan to put a Dodge D60 rear in my '73.
    The front is a little different due to the casting being one of the spring pearches. It should be the same as putting a Dodge D60 front into a Chevy. (do a search its been covered a lot) I say should because they measure the same but I don't know anyone who has done it. You might also be able to swap the guts (gears & locker) into a Chevy D44.