Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will Burban Axles fit in my Blazer *Another ?*

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SAVAGE1, Mar 12, 2001.

1. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I found a guy who is willing to trade axles with me. He's got an 85 3/4 ton Sub and my K5 is the same year. I'm pretty sure its a compatible swap but just wanted to check with you guys first. Any problems to look for? Thanks in advance.
    Rod

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by SAVAGE1 on 03/12/01 06:14 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Re: Will Burban Axles fit in my Blazer

Not an expert, but you may need the converter cause I think the U Joints on the 3/4 tons are bigger. Other than that, just look for the same Gear ratio.

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Yep they'll bolt up. Add a hybrid u-joint (Napa part # 447) and your K5 and your done.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll actually need 2 of those conversion u-joints. One for your K5 and another for your buddy's Suburban, assuming he wants to drive it home. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Good point about the u-joints. Both our rigs are daily drivers. So everything else is just a typical swap? Thanks for the feedback.

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

I just talked to the guy and he said its an 8 lug semi floater. I thought semi floaters are 6 lug. I still want to go through with the swap because I really need the 4.10 gears. Is the semi floater any good. My rig is a daily driver and I don't do any extreme crawling. I can always find a 14b FF later anyway. Watcha guys think?

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The semi-floater is not nearly as strong as the FF but it is lighter and has more clearance. This is what is often found in 3/4 tons. I think it is supposed to be somewhere between a 12 bolt and a Dana 60 strength wise (closer to the 12 bolt?). Still a good upgrade. If you don't run huge tires it is better due to the clearance and weight. Biggest problem is that if you snap an axle, you can loose a wheel depending on where it breaks.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm pretty sure that you're looking at an easy swap, especially since they're the same model years. I did this years ago, between a '75 K5 and a '74 K25. Did the whole thing, by myself, in the parking lot of an apartment complex in a day. (Let me assure you that a 14-bolt full floater is one heavy mutha!) [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

9. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I'll let ya know how it goes.