Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will EGR affect performance?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Oct 7, 2004.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I just installed a holley projection system and intake to go with it. It came with an EGR blockoff plate. If I use this should I just put a plug on the TBI unit. I assume my emissions may be affected but will drivability be affected?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

EGR doesn't hurt performance and helps fuel economy. When you stomp it to the floor, all EGR flow is off anyway. I'd keep it if it works correctly.

3. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

mine is bent though. I was going to use the blockoff and buy a new one down the road. should I just use a hose plug on the carb?

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

get rid of it if you dont ahve inspections or testing there, blocking it off is not going to hurt or help anything- same with having it, not on these engines anyways, later on they became electronic controlled and in some cases unplugging them might change how they run

i was told by toyota board that disconnecting EGR hose on the 22RE engines changes its timing somehow, i dunno, i think they are smoking something funny though, im leaving mine plugged off,

5. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

thanks, that was the answer i was looking for. my setup at this point is far from stock i suppose. I could see that blocking it off with all the other vaccuums might be a problem but they are all gone because of the projection system. I will just block that sucker off.

6. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks, that was the answer i was looking for. my setup at this point is far from stock i suppose. I could see that blocking it off with all the other vaccuums might be a problem but they are all gone because of the projection system. I will just block that sucker off.

[/ QUOTE ]

The EGR is supposed to introduce a little "Exaust Gas" (Recircuilation) into the intake, it keeps chamber temps down. This in turn keeps NOx down. Like tim said, doesn't hurt anything except the envrionment.
    The new chevy's don't have 'em stock, guess they are getting good enough they don't need 'em.