Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will Full-Size Truck cab bolt to Blazer frame?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daniel52687, May 28, 2002.

1. daniel52687

daniel52687 Newbie

Ok, I have a 1990 Blazer that is rusting inside out. The cab mounts are rotted and the body is starting to sag. I was wondering if a '87 or older full-size truck cab would bolt-up to my blazer frame. Is it possible that the blazer frame is actually a short bed truck frame? I am not to worried about the bed right now. Has any body done this before? Any input would be appreciated.

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

You can do it.Its almost a bolt on deal.I have a 74 C20 cab on my 81 K5.A K5 is about 10" shorter than a short bed pu.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Hmmm.....Suppose I could get a '73 pickup cab bolted on my K5 frame and get around smog? That would be pretty frickin cool...

4. FRIZZLEFRY

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif Yup

5. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I have a 78 cab on a 79 frame the front cab mounts were the same I made a rear crossmember but I think the crossmember out of a truck will bolt in but not sure. I just bolted the front of the cab down and blocked the rear up to level and took measurements for the crossmember. I cut 11" out of a stepside bed (cut the steps off) and it fit good.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The rear of the cab doesn't set on a cross member, but rather on two separate mount brackets similar to the front only they are on the inside rather than the outside of the frame. It would be trivial to take make a cross member there though. IIRC there are 7 rivets holding each mount onto the frame. So you could cut the rivets off the donor truck, drill holes in the right place on the K5 chassis, and bolt the mounts into place with 3/8 x 1.25 Grade 5 bolts.

7. FRIZZLEFRY

I used the rear cab mount/crossmember from my donor rather than build a new one.On the pick up this crossmember sat between the frame rails.Due to the different shape of the K5 frame I mounted the body mount crossmember on the top of the K5 frame.The frame on a truck raises up several inches right after the front cab mounts and on the K5 frame it is fairly flat until the front of the rear spring hanger and then it raises up.The K5 frame is also wider.

Got any pics of yours backyardbuilt?

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

So Friz, you actually had a cross member for the rear cab mounts? The truck frames I've been looking at are all like mine. Two separate mounts inside the frame rail on each side. Then there is a relatively light cross member (more of a strap really) that bolts to them (one bolt each side) and runs between them to mount fuel lines on. Hmmm, maybe that’s a 1 ton thing?

9. FRIZZLEFRY

My donor was a 3/4 ton,maybe thats the diference.

10. backyardbuilt

I knew the truck crossmember looked like it would work. I just never saw one until after I made mine. I do have pics but my storage site is down for maintenence so I can't get to it to get the address since I don't have it wrote down. When it is back up I will post it.

11. FRIZZLEFRY

Cool,I wanna see /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. backyardbuilt

13. FRIZZLEFRY

Looks good.Mine wont look so bad once I get it all one color /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif.Do your rear tires hit the front of the wheel opening on the rear fenders .It looks like it would be close if you got the tire stuffed all the way up in there.

14. backyardbuilt

They did but I cut them now they don't. It was the inside lip so you can't tell I cut them Unless your up close. What color you gonna paint it. It will look good I like how you did the fenders. I went the way I did cause I got 2 beds for 250$ So I had alot to work with.

15. FRIZZLEFRY

I think Im gonna paint it a sorta flat desert tan when I get time.The fenders are from a trailer supply place.I used those cuz I wanted to make it realy narrow from the doors back .I was tired of draggin my rear quarter pannels and windows on trees and rocks on all the tight trails I go on around here./forums/images/icons/smile.gif