Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will Gm ever bring back sfa???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by protechk5, Oct 28, 2004.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Im sure this has been asked a million times here, but is there any hope at all of Gm bring it back to their trucks, ive seen it on their new 4x4 vans, but why not of their trucks? I love their new trucks but if i had a choice i think i would still choose a f250 or f350 superduty, the superduties are the only ferd i have ever liked.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I can almost guarantee that GM will never put a solid front axle under any of their light duty trucks again. Too many yuppies that like the IFS setup. I personally DON'T like the way it handles, my dad's 98 burb has way too much sway.

The 5% (probably more like 1%) guys out there like us that prefer a live axle usually wind up going to Ford superduty or Dodge HD truck and I highly doubt GM cares much because they have the "cushy" ride concerned folks buying their HD trucks.

I love GM's but they lost me as a customer, I bought a 2001 Dodge 3/4 4x4 Cummins pickup. D60 up front 4 linked on coils with a D70HD out back on some HEAVY springs powered by the only strait 6 cylinder diesel on the market....the best drivetrain out there IMHO.

P.S. The new '05 superduty is a badass truck, they finally junked the leafs and went coils and 5 link up front, kind of like the dodges and early 78-79 f150's.

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

gm still does have SFA...unfortunately you have to step up to a K4500 truck, which are large and ugly as sin, and then you only get the 8.1 and the Duramax as options.

I think SFA would make a nice HD option on, say, the 3500 series only. So the 3500 would be ifs and 3500HD would be sfa. But i'll put the bong down now, it ain't happening.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    P.S. The new '05 superduty is a badass truck, they finally junked the leafs and went coils and 5 link up front, kind of like the dodges and early 78-79 f150's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, maybe they can have broken track bars and worn out front bushings too. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

If anything they should have put a kingpin frontend in it.

5. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I drive an '03 2500 HD Silverado as a DD and I will NEVER drive a SFA vehicle as a DD again. It has no bumpsteer, rides smooth, and handles great with little to no body roll for a big truck like it is. I think IFS is great, it just has its applications, like DD's, and race vehicles. Just like SFA works good in trail rigs.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I drive an IFS rig every day as well. I agree it has its advantages but one of them is not heavy duty use. I think they should offer IFS in 1/2 tons and still make real trucks with straight axles. That's my personal opinion though of course.

7. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how Ford has the entirely new dana 60 front, the fat boy or whatever, with the 10" ring gear and bigger axleshafts or something. But it still has balljoints /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif wtf?

8. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I drive an '03 2500 HD Silverado as a DD and I will NEVER drive a SFA vehicle as a DD again. It has no bumpsteer, rides smooth, and handles great with little to no body roll for a big truck like it is. I think IFS is great, it just has its applications, like DD's, and race vehicles. Just like SFA works good in trail rigs.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said. i have a 95 2500. after years of driving old iron daily, i would not want to go back. love mine for DD purposes.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how Ford has the entirely new dana 60 front, the fat boy or whatever, with the 10" ring gear and bigger axleshafts or something. But it still has balljoints /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheaper apparently. The balljoints wear out too. I've sold many a set to guys with 60,000 or less on a Superduty with stock tires.

10. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend is crazy. He has an '03 2500 HD also, his has about 29,000 miles. He bought a Dana 60 from a Ford to put in it. He already has all of the IFS stuff (a-arms, torsion bars, differential) taken out. He bent the tie rod 3 times while in 4 wheel drive and said he doesn't want to fix it anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    what he said. i have a 95 2500. after years of driving old iron daily, i would not want to go back. love mine for DD purposes.

[/ QUOTE ]

im going to disagree, for a DD and a toy, i like my straight axle trucks. actually have very little experience a straight axle truck offroad yet, but i have wheeled my DD 91 K1500 a few times. i recently pulled a 7000# load (2500# trailer/4500# car) with my uncle's '94 K2500, and have never had anything pull like that truck did, absolutely perfect. as far as general around town ride and comfort, i'll take a straight axle any day.

12. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I am and will always will be a lover the bouncy bouncy SFA ride. But for as much gravel roads as I drive IFS is nice. We were driving around tonight, and I was driving my friends 99 Z71 speeds up to 85 on a gravel road, and it handled great, last time I tryed that in a SFA right ... lets just say i stopped to collect my thoughts and grab a new pair of underwear /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Going to coils was a dumb move just not as rugged as a set of leafs. I cant stand the GM trucks with IFS and never will. Dodge is a joke as well with Their hubless front axels.
    I plan on a new truck next year(maybe) and the only choice I see is the F-350. I still dont like the ideal of coils but at least it does have hubs and a lever on the t-case. Not to mention Fords have always been better quality than the Dodge's. I also like the extra cab or four door with the short bed. Ford makes the best 3/4 and 1 ton trucks on the road today.

14. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I love GM's but they lost me as a customer

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

i like ifs for the street and blasting down dirt roads, it rides so much better than sfa. but i do wish they would go back to sfa, it would make my job a hole lot easyer.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh, Dad just got rid of his F250(02) for an 04 2500HD. He loves his HD way more than his Ford. I don't like the IFS factor, if his Super Duty was Diesel I would have thought about buying it from him(like I could /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif). I owned a 95 K2500 last year. I loved the truck, cause it looked really nice, and was just jump in and go(TBI and auto), but I hated the front suspension. It didn't body lean bad as far as I can remember. My 89 Burb or 84 K5 body leaned WAY more(both stock height). The one problem it definetally had, was bouncing. That thing would bounce off any good sized bump. I'm going back to my Suburban, after just one time of driving that again, I like it better.

16. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

well why the heck do they still put sfa under their vans?

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    well why the heck do they still put sfa under their vans?

[/ QUOTE ]
    that is an aftermarket company that does that. They take 0 mile vans from GM and convert them. The only vans that come from GM themselves with power to all 4 wheels are the AWD Astros/Safaris, and they are IFS with a 1:1 tcase.

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Well I have never drivin a IFS truck before.
    Butt I am about to find out what it is like.
    I got me one of thease......in 2weeks
    [​IMG]
    Very similar to this pick, just slightly different /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

19. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

You can get GM to make a SFA truck again . What you do is CONVINCE a couple hundred thousand people to buy Ford and Dodge HD SFA trucks , then organize a get together with every one of those trucks on GM's front lawn and protest with signs saying The competition offers what you wanted . Then with the news coverage you would get them to offer on of the AAM fronts as an option .

But much like politics to do good for the country , no one could organize that kind of thing /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

And thus you are getting my dream daily driver. I must admit I just like riding in my dad's HD, and his is a stripped down barebones work truck. Hopefully after school I will get a job and can afford to buy a nice 2500HD Diesel.