Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will headers/intake bolt up to 383 after being on 350?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Madbomber88, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

Ok, looking for some opinions here. I have a relatively stock mint condition (not a spec of rust anywhere) 1990 K5 with 173,000 miles on the original FI 350. I am bored and need a project. I am looking at taking two routes for the project, main problem is of course money (us military guys don't make that much).
    My overall plan is to replace the 350 with a 383 from GM performance parts, hook it up with a performer intake and thorley headers. That will cost me over $4000 in parts I am predicting, the labor I'll do myself. Can I instead, bolt a performer intake and thorley headers onto my existing engine for now and then in a year or so when I have the funds transfer these same parts to the new 383? Will they bolt right up or will I have to buy new ones? If I can do this, what can I expect in terms of increases in power/fuel mileage on the old engine? I just don't want to do things twice, and I really can't afford the new engine right now but this great weather up here has me itching to start a project.
    As usual thanks alot.

2. BlaznRebel

BlaznRebel 1/2 ton status

Me personally I would leave the engine alone till you have everything.then do the swap. Nothing like putting something brand new in your baby. I believe the intake and everything will fit on the block a 383 is nothing but a SBC just like a 350. The difference is in the stroke and bore of the 350. If you want me to elaborate just give a holler. Performance might be slightly improved but i think you gas milage will go down if you go from fuel injecter to carburated.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep. Everything will swap right over. But up there in the land of salted roads you'll want to buy some really good headers. The cheap ones collect sand and salt between the tubes, down near the collector, and rust out fairly quickly. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yep. Everything will swap right over. But up there in the land of salted roads you'll want to buy some really good headers. The cheap ones collect sand and salt between the tubes, down near the collector, and rust out fairly quickly. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I'd say that Thorley's are good headers. Now I'd think about sending them into Jet Hot to get coated, but not sure if they'd need it or not.

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just don't want to do things twice, and I really can't afford the new engine right now but this great weather up here has me itching to start a project.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would strongly recommend saving your money and do it once. If you buy the headers and intake now, things might change by the time you get them money, then you would have to do it again.

6. Madbomber88

Madbomber88 1/2 ton status

This may be a stupid question, but, I can't stay with fuel injection?

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Why not ??? As long as the heads are the same (Both vortec or non-vortec) your FI shound bolt up. May need to have the chip in the computer reprogramed for the new motor, but there are alot of places that can do that.

8. BigRed89

BigRed89 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can stay with your stock fuel injection. I highly recommend it.

9. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

I'm gonna keep this one brief..so here we go:
    Intake- yes, your old one will work, provided you are using the same style of heads as the orig motor (Vortech/Non-Vortech)
    Headers- Yes.
    OEM F.I. System- Yes, but it's gonna need the chip reprogrammed to compensate for the extra 33 c.i. that you have added.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif