Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will headers make a difference?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DrewT, Jul 7, 2003.

1. DrewT

DrewT Newbie

I have a 1987 Jimmy that I put a 350 gas engine with a Edlebrock 600 carb and a RV Mellling cam. It currently has the duel exhaust that came off of the diesel engine with the stock manifolds. Will headers make a noticeable difference? I am looking for more power when passing on the highway or climbing hills.

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Try doing a search on this, I think headers are good for anywhere from 10-30 HP, depending on other factors.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yes, headers will help. Aslong as the rest of the engine can breath good, headers will do thier job.

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Typically what you will see is that headers will give you a certain % gain over stock manifolds. Its hard to give an accurate HP/TQ number but you should definitely have a gain. Depending on the size of cam/heads/etc... will determine the size of gain. Obviously a big cam and high-flow heads are going to gain the most from a well-breathing exhaust. What you want to be careful of is going too big on your exhaust. With duals and a mild build you probably dont want anything larger than 2 - 2.25 duals with a cross over or H-pipe. If you have a bigger/more radical build or you flow more air you will want to step up to a 2.25 or 2.5 true dual with the same cross/H-pipe. With a small block your generally not going to flow more than a 2.5 dual exhaust and still drive it on the street. (someone please correct me if I am wrong here). Personally I am going with a Doug thorley Tri-y header and a 2.25 dual with a H-pipe into flowmaster 50-series.