Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will Herculiner Suffocate Rust Like POR-15?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Feb 1, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I tore the most of the interior out of the truck today and I'd like to paint the floor with something rust-preventative. I was going to paint it with POR-15 and then with Herculiner...then I saw the prices on both of them. I'm going to use a textured paint one way or the other since I won't be putting carpet or anything in the back, but my question is will Herculiner suffocate rust like POR-15? That would save me the hassle of laying down a whole bunch of coats and the $100 for what essentially amounts to a gallon of tar. Any help would be appreciated.

2. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

i like the idea of what you are trying to come up but i have no clue lol, why are you not putting in carpet? like the ease of clean up like i want?

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, this is going to be strictly a play toy when I get done, road noise is not an issue. In the front I'm gonna lay some kind of paint down and then put a polyvinyl (like rubber except tougher) mat down so I can spray it out. I'm not going to have a rear seat as of now so in back will be herculiner and no mats or anything.

4. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

i have always wanted to just herculine it all (pending if it stops rust) or maynt through some rust to primer down then herculine it all

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I don't think so. I don't believe Herculiner (or any of the similar 'liners) has any kind of corrosion inhibitor in it, so it's only weapon against rust is the integrity of the coating. If there's rust already under the coating, it will form what's known as a "corrosion cell" and slowly but surely rust the base metal away.
    POR-15, Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator, and Rust Bullet (they're the ones I know of - there may be others) are all formulated to inhibit rust; I know Eastwood's product is made to be applied over rust, and the others may be, too. The big thing with these products is to ensure whatever you want to topcoat them with is compatible. I understand POR-15 is finicky about surface prep and topcoats; Eastwood says their product is compatible with most topcoats, but one of their chassis paints says not to use over Rust Encapsulator.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what he said. I dont think liners stop rust... what they probably would do though is slow it down. Metal exposed to plenty of air/moisture will rust hella fast, but metal sealed inside of a liner is exposed to less of that stuff and therefore I would tend to think that the rust process would be slowed down some. How much is the $64,000 question.

POR is expensive as heck if you're going to do a large area, you might consider some of the other put-it-directly-on-the-rust coatings mentioned + herculiner over the top. Just my 2 cents.

As far as herculining the interior of your rig... great choice. I did it to my rig 3 or so years ago now, no regrets at all.

j

7. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

They say that if POR-15 is continuously exposed to sunlight, it must be topcoated with something,Granted yer interior wont have much exposure... but that tells me it would be just fine with Herculiner over the top.

I like yer idea on the polyvinyl..I HATE carpet..does nothin but suck up moisture and make more rust. Soon as I get back home I'm pulling it and getting the floor coated then throwin a poly mat over it.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Por-15 hard to topcoat

My experience with POR-15 --it works good too stop rust,it actually works BETTER if you brush it right over rust that has been wirebrushed,VS sandblasting or clean steel--it will fade to a dull black in sunlight,it has no UV resistance to speak of--and if you want to paint over it,your best bet is too apply the topcoat while the POR-15 is still tacky--if not,the slick surface the POR makes does not allow good adhesion ,and the top coat of paint or bedliner wont stick,it will peel off in sheets like saran wrap...and forget trying to sand it to scuff it up--its too hard a surface to sand,unless you use a grinder or DA sander,even then its difficult...

I dont think a bedliner material will stick too good to POR--I'd try it on a sample peice first,to avoid an expensive mess..I've used POR-15 on most of my trucks--it works OK,but I dont know that it is THAT much better than a good preparation job and good old Rustoleum--I painted the oil pan and rear diff cover on my 74 K20 about 5 years ago--both have rot holes in them now,and are leaking,and hardly any POR-15 left on them--granted I didnt do a REAL anal cleaning job before I applied it,but I didnt just paint over grease and oil either,I washed it off with oven cleaner and castrol super clean,and blasted it at the car wash first--didnt impress me that much---I did the floors in my van and it has held up good under the rubber mats though....:crazy:

One thing I have found is a good rust inhibitor paint is the "aluminum" paint used on chain link fences,it seems to deter rust much longer than regular non metallic paint does--I use Rustoleum in gallon cans from home depot for about 25 bucks--mobile home aluminum roof coating works well as a cheap undercoating too,its messy stuff to work with though,but not as bad as POR-15--dont get any on body parts you dont want black for 2 weeks till it wears off...:crazy:

9. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

No, I had some spots on my floor that I didn't get the rust completely out. The herculiner bubled and came off in those spots..

10. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

jekbrown, i had a question for you, i have looked at your rig many tiems and its awesome. what would you call it? a trail rig? half trail half road rig? and how exaclty did you prep the surface for herculine? (i cant PM you, im not cheap its just everytime i try and sign up there is a adress problem)dont mean to kijack the thread

11. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I just removed some herculined I layed down about 2 years ago,

I layed it on a feshly grinded cab floor, and layed down three coatsm when I removed the herc, it looked like I had just been grinding there the same day,

I wa very impressed, and my truck has sat with a good layer of water on the floor many times,,, not to mention the floor has plenty of nicks in the herc

so I would say it does a pretty good job of sealing it,

-shawn

12. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

NO IT WON'T!

I recently removed Herculiner, Durabak, and Rhinolining from my trucks interior and I was suprised to find moistured trapped underneath the stuff. No rust really, but our state is pretty dry and not very humid. I could just imagine if i was in the rust belt though. THere probably wouldn't have been any steel under that liner.:D

This is not opinion it is actual experience. Go POR, i think you'll have a better time.

13. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

i was actually thinking of going with both or something like that, because por-15 is just lik paint which isnt durable and herculine is the texture i need

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

POR-15 is actually pretty freakin durable. Why do you 'want' the texture of herculine, dont plan on crawlin around in your blazer w/ shorts on (ask me how I know)

15. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

i would just think that por-15 would scratch off, isnt it like the texture of paint? i mean if someone threw wood in the back and some other srough stuff like that would it scratch off?

16. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

metal to metal will scratch it some, but anything can be scratched. Anyway, herculine is a very rough texture, if it were me, I would probably pay and have the tube Line-X'd just so I would have some skin left on my knees if I was workin on the K5 during the summer.

17. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yeah Herculiner is kinda "prickly" to kneel on or rub up against.....I'm not sure about the other spray in liners, maybe none of them are actually soft and cushioney???

Caveat Emptor!

18. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

my dad has rhino liner in his, its alot better than herculine, but line-x is smoother still, line-x is what Im going to get in the bed of my truck after I get it painted.

19. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

how much would that cost? i asked tarheel about it and they said roughly 800 to do firewall to tailgate, i thought that was a little rediculous, i admit i felt line-x on that display and i liked it, it felt ALOT thicker and softer rubber (which isnt a bad thing imo)

20. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

no, tarheel has a sign up top, vehicle tubs are 600 I believe, jeep tubs are a little less, I think 450 or so.