Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will I be an outcast if I trim vintage tin?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ryanNC, Dec 11, 2000.

1. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

I've taken off the rear bumper and like my new departure angle. Then that sprang the idea to take off the front and trim the front fenders even with the bottom of the grille. I just wanted to know if I'd be considered a bad boy if I went ahead and did this?

I just love to wheel!!
    Thanks again for any imput for Ryan, the 19 year old.
    Go to www.ryans1site.coloradok5.com for a look.

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

it really depends on who your talkin to. I personally would call this a justifiable field improvision. Besides if they b*#&$h just show them your new found departure angle on theyre hood.

3. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

funny thing you say that. I had an old lady smack one of my rear boggers at about 3 mph. I drove off with no damage (that I know off..pray to god) and she had around $600 worth of damages. The cop just laughed the whole time he wrote up the report on how to explain the scene.

Godda love them big trucks!
    check me out at www.com

4. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Either you take it off, or the obstacles will take it off for you. I stripped mine of all that aluminium side trim to avoid the trees the pleasures. Figured that my method would be less destructive. Good luck.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've trimmed the leading edge of the front fenders and the trailing edge of the rear fenders on mine, just as you describe. I think I took off maybe 4 inches up front and about 3 inches in the back.

I think the body on my '75 is a bit too dented and rusty to qualify as "vintage tin" however. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

6. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

I've just made the move off my rear to go do it. Will return when I'm done. Wish me luck. I'll post pictures when I get done on my site.

19 with a 70 Blazer
    http//ryans1site.coloradok5.com

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

SAWZALL!!!!!

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I cut the part your talking about on my front fenders because they got in the way of my tires [​IMG] and I plan to cut the rear quarter as soon as I build my new rear bumper. I also cut the back of my front inner fenderwells, and the front of my rear fenders. I still have a little more to cut off my inner fenderwells. I'll post pictures as soon as I finish off the roll of film and scan them.</font color=blue>

9. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

&gt; Will I be an outcast if I trim vintage tin?
    If you have really nice sheetmetal, I would be VERY reluctant to hack on it. However, if you decide to do it anyway, do a good job on it and make it remain as nice as the rest of the body.
    Here in Texas, by the Gulf, we don't have the problem of having sheetmetal too nice to cut. :)
    -- Mike

10. ryanNC

ryanNC 1/2 ton status

I'll stick to my die grinder, aviation snips, dolly, and body folding hammer. You've got some mongus marbles for your sweet hacking job. Your definatly inspiration for us smaller marbled k4 owners. After the body tweaking you need to write a book called "Got Shorty"

www.ryans1site.coloradok5.com