Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will I Ever Find the Right Size Wheel Studs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Apr 18, 2002.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Bought 2 front rotors (w/o hubs) at Autozone for my 86 10-bolt. Rather than reusing the old studs I figured I would just get new ones. They look them up in their computer and bring out 1/2"-20 thread studs. Well, I have 7/16"-20 studs and lugs on there now. I tell them that the rotors and studs have never been changed and that 7/16" is stock. They tell me that the 1/2" is all they list for my truck. I reluctantly take the 1/2" studs and ended up buying 12 new 1/2" lug nuts to go with them. So I get home and pull one of the new studs through the new rotor using the washer and impact gun method as I have done many times in the past. The stud gets halfway in and the rotor cracks. So I take everything back to Autozne and tell them that there is no way these are the correct studs. They give me another rotor and I tell them to keep the studs, I'll look elsewhere. I go to 4-5 different parts stores and they all list 1/2"-20 studs and none of them fit into the rotor. I also ask them to pull out a rotor so I can compare it to the one I got at Autozone. Sure enough, they all match.

So I go to a GM dealer. Take in the rotor and tell them that I need studs. They look up the studs and bring them out and although they are 7/16"-20 they still look like the seat is too big to fit in the rotor. So now I think, "This has to be the wrong rotor." But, of course, the dealer doesn't have a rotor I can compare mine to.

I can't believe I'm having so much trouble finding the right studs. Anybody else ever have this problem?

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

went throught the same thing about a month ago..i even called up autozone and showed the manager where the p/n's between the manufacturer's book and the computer where wrong. for future reference...it is the 7/16"X20

3. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

I know it's the 7/16". Did they give you the wrong rotor too? What did you end up doing?

4. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i took them back the 1/2" studs and told the manager that his computer was wrong. asked him for the right studs and put them on. no probs...

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I was looking around a couple of months ago trying to find a 1/2" stud that would actually fit in the front. I tried all the major chains, but nobody makes a stud that fits correctly through the rotor and hub in anything but 7/16". Even when I looked into drilling the holes out, I couldn't find anything with a length, knurl, cap, thread combination that would work. So I am running 7/16" in the front and 9/16" in the back.

BTW, whenever I get funny part numbers from places like Autozone, I start trying different years of trucks that I know to be the same as mine. Many times, a different year will have a different part number that will be correct. I have also tried to get them to correct errors in the computer, but I think that it is handled nationally and they can't do anything about it. Just make a note for yourself so that you know what you need the next time.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i just went through the same deal with napa. thing is they got it right on the first try. i dont like to go to napa because the prices. but they sell me the stuff at the "hoby shop" prices. this is for us, the local military. they have a book that has like a bunch(lots and lots , 200+) wheel studs in it. they can flip through, measure your old ones with calipers and then go from there. they got us new ones that worked perfect.
    grant