Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will it bolt up?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Aug 26, 2000.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I measured my Dana 60 rear today and found that its 6" narrower than the front [​IMG] (the neighbors were holding they're kids ears and giving me dirty looks [​IMG]) so it looks like i'm getting a 14 bolt since I have 5 weeks until the biggest truck show in NJ and I don't want to miss it again. I'm going to a smaller show tomorow (Raceway Park in Englishtown for anyone interested) and will look for a 14. I know a 3/4 14 will bolt in to a 73-up K5, so it should bolt in to mine right?

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com <font color=blue></font color=blue>

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

The perches on 72 and older models are different. Look for a 14 bolt off of a single rear wheel 1 ton. I know those perches are different than a 3/4 ton. My friend has a 72 model and we did a 14 bolt swap on it a while back. The axle we used came off of a 90 model club cab 1 ton longbed. I will try and dig up the measurement differences. 1 ton 14 bolts also have a MUCH larger drum than the 3/4 ton models.

BIGJ

3. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I was planning on using disks in the rear, so the brakes won't be a problem. Do you have pictures? </font color=blue>

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Have you thought about replacing the axles and axle tubes to make up the 6". If there is a heavy truck repair shop in your area they may have everything on hand to do it and possibly be much cheaper.

5. waxer@work

waxer@work Registered Member

It is designed that way. The 14 bolt FF is also not as wide as the D44. Thats a common design on many vehicles. So if the only reason your going to the 14 bolt is cause of that, Dont cause its the same as the D60 rear..."slimmer"

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah well the 14 bolt aint 6" slimmer[​IMG]. Its only 3" slimmer which is still wider than the 10 or 12 bolt. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. truyoopr

truyoopr Registered Member

Hey big gray how was english town. I had to work all weekend so i didnt go. That blows. Lets get together and wheel

Come and Get Some

8. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>I don't want to have the axle housing modified, I just want to get an 8 lug 4.10 rear in as fast as possible. What are the widths of the 14s in p/u's and Subs?

I just got back from the show 5 minutes ago. I saw some cool K5s (one Chalet and a fully-restored 72) and saw some other cool trucks. I watched the racing for a little and saw a snowmobile run a 9.57 in the quater! I want to try and have this axle in by sept 29 because thats Thunder on the Beach in Wildwood. My 3.07s sucked on the highway so i need to get some lower gears in.</font color=blue>