Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will it survive if....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Sep 28, 2003.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

will the stock axles hold up to a 300hp 350 k5 with 38" tires IF there is no body and just a roll cage.

sold the 78 to a friend /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif and he wants to scrap the body, build the motor/tranny, 4" lift, 38s, build a roll cage, regear the axles. it is going to be a sand/mud buggy.
    What ya tink? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think it'd hold up alright. There may be some breakage, but who cares if it's not a regularly driven vehicle, big deal, it breaks, you can fix it.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Why have any lift if there is no body /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

sand/mud buggy... that means lots of hammer time on the skinny pedal. It will survive, but not for too long. a 38" tire is a pretty large tire, lots of mass out there at the end of that skinny little stock shaft and lots of pressure put on that stock steering knuckle/u-joint. Luckily it will be in an environment where the wheels can/will spin so that will extend its life considerably, but nothing like a D60/14-bolt. Its not so much the weight of the body and gear as it is the wear of so much rotating mass at the end of the shaft... get those 38's spinning and crank the wheel and hold on while the grenade goes off /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i shattered my stock 12 bolt with posi and 33's in the sand /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif so i don't think they would hold up /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

well right now he plans on putting 35s on it
    (has them laying around) but may upgrade to 38s within a year, we might just go to 3/4 ton then also.

we want a lift to give some frame clearance, so we can sink into the mud farther /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif