Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will it work and good price?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by justpushplay, Feb 12, 2004.

1. justpushplay

justpushplay Registered Member

I have an 86 that originally came with a 5 liter but now has a 350. The block is from the early 70's. My question is can I drop in a 5.7 TBI from an 88? I am pretty sure it would not be a problem but this will be my first. The reason I ask is I can get an low mileage (under 70K) 88 5.7 TBI complete from oil pan to air filter plus the computer with a 700r4 for $600. So will it work and do you think this is a good deal? Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Whats the TBI out of?

If its out of the same body style vehicle, it will fit. Some wiring or re-wiring to make it all run, and some other parts you will need from a donor, but other than that, fairly straightforward.

3. justpushplay

Sorry I wasn't clear, both are K5 Blazers. Mine is an 86 and the donor is an 88.

4. dyeager535

Pretty much a swap and go affair.

If it were I, and the donor was "complete" and a runner, I'd take everything off of it, to include interior wiring harness. It isn't necessary, but it's either that, or cut and splice at least a few wires. If you swap over the fuse panel, there would be no cutting, although I'm not sure what would happen with the headlights, since I've never dealt with the newer style headlight wiring.

5. justpushplay

Thanks for the response. Donor is being parted out so I can't grab the whole thing on the cheap. I'll see if he'll include the fuse panel/wiring/etc. What do you think of the price? Thanks!

6. dyeager535

Well, for a spare tranny being included, if it is truely good, I think $600 isn't bad. I'd certainly expect the fuel lines and tank to be thrown in for that price as well though. I think "complete" TBI setups are going for around $300 now, but I doubt that includes ALL the fuel lines and the tank.

All the electrical should come with, he'll never sell the interior harness anyways.

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If it were I, and the donor was "complete" and a runner, I'd take everything off of it, to include interior wiring harness. It isn't necessary, but it's either that, or cut and splice at least a few wires. If you swap over the fuse panel, there would be no cutting, although I'm not sure what would happen with the headlights, since I've never dealt with the newer style headlight wiring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree!! There alot of "little" things that are different in the wiring from 86 to 88. And check to see if you need the guage cluster. I know the oil pressure sender for 88 is different, I also know the my 87 has a speedsensor in the dash combined with the speedo. I don't know if your 86 has one. If the tranny is a GOOD WORKING unit, The set is worth the price. But the 700's are known for blowing up!!!