Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will it work??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Aug 2, 2004.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

On my last four wheeling trip, I found that I had to be pulled up a rock that I would have easily climbed up if I had a front locker. My question is, will my front 10 bolt hold up to 37's and a lockright for any length of time? I tend to be pretty esay on the gas, especially if I know there is a front locker in there. I also carry around spare front shafts and the tools to do the job on the trail. I have a detroit in the rear 14, so the front would be helped. I originally planned to install a D60 in the front before I got a locker, but I will not have enough money to purchase a 60 for quite a long time. So, how long will the 10B hold up?
    -Harrison

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

As long as your easy on the skinny pedal, they should hold up for a bit. In case im wrong, make sure you carry spare parts.

3. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

i had a lockright in my old 3/4 ton D44 and had 36's then added 37's and a doubler, it survived for quite awhile and the only time a broke it was when i was using my right foot in place of my brain. Hopped the front end a couple times under power and boom, short side shaft blew, slid in another and kept on wheeling, sooooooo it can live if you're lucky and smart, you just gotta remember not to gas it hangin on a rock at full streering lock. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Do you do alot of wheeing in muddy rocks? If so you need wheel spin to wheel like that and if you use wheel spin with a locked 10 bolt and 37's it will break if you catch traction on a root, rock, etc. If it is slow stuff that if very controlled it can work for awhile but you must carry spares. (not just spare axles)

I run a locked 10 bolt and 35's but I run dry rocks. Lots of traction and it is slow stuff. I carry spare axleshafts, spindle, locking hub, knuckles w/ball joints, yoke, wheel bearings, and races.

If a stub grenades it can take out your spindle and locking hub.
    If you grenade a ujoint you can shear your ball joints and loose your tire completely.

The most common breakage is the axleshaft ujoint and the inner axle where it necks down near the splines. Carry a long extendable pen magnet so you can retreive the broken part from inside the axle. Otherwise a spare axleshaft isn't going to do you any good.

With a locked 10 bolt and 37's breakage is not a question of if but when. It is that simple.

Harley

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I try to keep away from the muddy rocks. I only wheel muddy rocks when it happens to be raining the day I go. Usually they are pretty dry and dusty. My decision is between a new exhaust (headers all the way back), or a front locker. The locker is definitely cheaper. I thought about what would be the best upgrade. The exhaust adds power and gas mileage, but the locker will get me more places offroad. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    -Harrison

6. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Ive developed a tendency to blow locking hubs with my locked D60 front, so you should expect the same on a regular basis. Cheap fix, but be prepared. I also tend to wheel with a liberal amount of skinny pedal, so go easy on the gas. Good luck!