Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will MIG welders do the job?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Feb 15, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have a Millermatic 175 MIG welder (im from Canada) and I was wondering if it would hold up to welding roll cages, bumpers, rocker panel protection, etc. I have had it for a while but haven't used it. The placed messed up and gave me .030" tips, and .035" wire.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

just get some .035 tips, no big deal. I used a 135 Lincoln for all my fabwork. Truthfully I wish we hadn't gotten rid of the 200 we had, oh well that wasn't my descision. So I'd say it should be fine, is its a gas or just flux core? I doubt its just flux core. Don't go doing roll cages and important stuff like that if you've never used the welder though. Practice a lot, I've been welding for years now and I'm just getting the hang of doing it right. I'm also just starting to weld a lot.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, yeah I was just saying for future projects. I need to practice. Ive welded before, but just on a friends machine.

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

.030 wire is actually better for rollcages. The average cage tuning is made of .120 wall and the .030 is best. 1/4" plate works well with .035 wire.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I built my entire truggy and stuff for other peoples rigs with my MM 175. IMO, it's the perfect size welder (price/value) for a home shop and 4x4 hobbyist.

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Should work well. Just make sure and notch (groove) all the joints to get good penitration, and you should have no problems.

John

7. CammoK5

CammoK5 Registered Member

I've built a lot of stuff with my little Craftsman Mig welder. I was suprised at how well it welds for a "cheep" machine. Like the others, I think it would be fine for what your doing.
    /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A MIG will do nearly anything a stick welder will do, just cleaner and better.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

and more expensive, to = the strength of a good stick weld you need a strong Mig welder that just means more money for a better welder. Like I said, shouldn't have gotten rid of our 200.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I used a 135 Lincoln for all my fabwork.

[/ QUOTE ]

You like it? I heard thats a pretty nice one, I was thinkin about gettin it.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    and more expensive, to = the strength of a good stick weld you need a strong Mig welder that just means more money for a better welder. Like I said, shouldn't have gotten rid of our 200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, more expensive. A 225 amp stick welder costs $229. A 210 amp MIG will run you $1k+. The MIG will do almost anything the stick will do though--and it will do it cleaner and easier.

I never intended to talk down stick welders at all, but years ago when I first started welding I was under the impression that a MIG wasn't capable of doing what a stick welder can using thick stuff. The first time I saw a 200 amp MIG in action, I was sold on the idea.

Ideally you'd have both, but if I had my choice of a 135 amp MIG and 225 AC stick welder OR just one 175 amp MIG, I'd have the MIG. It's just so much easier/cleaner plus you can do body work with it. Only downfall really is the 220 v outlet that is required for the 175.

12. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I prefer my gas motor powered miller 400 amp stick welder because it has more power than both migs we have and can burn right through some thick stuff. I do a lot of hardfacing(hince why I have so much heat) and it is a lot easier with a stick welder. As a matter of fact I don't think you can even get hardface wire. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif The migs do a cleaner job with less splatter though.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I totally agree if I had the same choice I would go with the 175. And for the one who asked if I like the 135, its really nice, easy to move(little and 120V) and does a good job but I sometimes feel I could use just a little more heat.

14. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[quote And for the one who asked if I like the 135, its really nice, easy to move(little and 120V) and does a good job but I sometimes feel I could use just a little more heat.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was me. Yeah thats what I was curious about, was the heat. Thanks!

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I wouldn't give the 135 up for anything, but the 100 I have I'd gladly trade for a 175 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A MIG will do nearly anything a stick welder will do, just cleaner and better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you wrote nearly in there. There is 1 reason I keep a stick welder. If a part on a piece of equipment breaks that has to be fixed yesterday and is hard to get to it gets the stick welder. A mig is wonderful until you try to weld used metal. Then you have to clean the weld area which in some cases it's just not possible to clean it sufficient for a mig without disassembling the machine. A stick welder will blast through rust, oil/grease, paint, whatever. I have used the stick many times like this on our backhoe when it would break and we had a grave to dig and no time to tear stuff apart.

That being said when I can use it I do love my mig /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. jedifish

jedifish Registered Member

Miller's r probably the best Mig machines out. There r others that r good as well. I have a Hobart Handler 135, which is made by Miller. I couldnt afford the Miller 175, I had very limited funds at the time, but I love it. I had a friend with a cheap Chicago Electric, he used it for a couple of years. He builds hot rods and when he started out he had the Chicago Eletric and it worked for him until he got more work and had to get a bigger machine. And he got a Miller. They r just super nice machines. And by the way The Chicago Electric is still working. You have a really good machine and it will work for your needs.