Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will my 10bolt be okay?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddin4fun, Aug 2, 2001.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm thinking of going 35's, but was wondering about the front 10 bolt. I might put a locker in it sometime...so I dunno...

This is also a test post for Steve [​IMG].

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

It certainly should - 10 bolts can take quite a bit, especially up front where they aren't constantly driving. With 35's I'd add a truss, and go through it with a fine toothed comb before taking it through anything too hairy.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Mine lasted 4 year of pretty hard abuse with 35's...

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

4. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    remember Mr. Watson was running a 10 for some time, granted it was beefed up but it was still a 10 bolt. I'm running a 10 until I get some money of course but I havent borken anything where as my friend has broken his 44 twice. just go easy on the skinny pedle. oh yea, and were both running 35's. me--boggers, and he--SSR's

Danny

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

5. ScoobyDann

i cant wait to be orange like you

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Test post, yeah sure, you just wanted to see the orange name. [​IMG] I am pissed that I did not make the first 10. [​IMG] Oh well I guess I can wait for my turn. Anyhow your 10 bolt should be ok if you are carefull with it.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It all depends on what your plans for this thing are. For pavement pounding and occasional mud it should be fine.
    Rocks on the other hand could bring out it's weak points. Let us know what your plans are for this rig and we can give you a better idea.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

As long as you are judicious with the gas pedal and drive smartly, your 10 bolt will do just fine. Mine has had 35s on it for 5 years, and the last year with an ARB locker. I do rocks all the time, no problems. And I have romped on it my share (especially before the locker) and still no problems. The 10 bolt might not be as strong as the "Great Dana 60", but I am starting to wonder if there is not some conspiracy starting here to rid the world of 10 bolts?? [​IMG] Sure, a D60 would be nice, but I am gonna see how long I can get by with the ol' 10 bolt before I go into debt for a 60...it's gone 5 years without so much as a u-joint failure, the "worst" problem I have ever had is a leaking axle seal!

I think with proper driving technique and regular maintenance your 10 bolt will do just fine!

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I wheeled my front 10 bolt pretty hard for about 8 years with 35-12.5s and had no major problems.I had a Con Ferr super skid axle truss on it the whole time so that may have helped it.

"I AM THE HILIFT KING"<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have 10s front and rear. I am running 35s. I asked the similar question recently. I am upgrading to 4.56s and Detroit lockers front and rear. I wanted to learn if they would be strong enough before I dumped $1500 into them. From the advice I received from everyone, I decided that I am sticking with my 10s. I do mild off-roading, some mudding, and am reasonable when it ocmes to throttle. Shoot, I only have a 305 as is! Yours should be fine if you are friendly to them.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>

11. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

sorry, I'm gonna do something that leans towards rock crawling. I like to mud every now and then, but rock crawling is just awsome!!!! But it will still be a daily driver.
    I'll have to change out to 4:10's at least and I'd beef up the 10 bolt if I kept it. Any ideas on how to beef up a 10 bolt or if it's worth beefing up?

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

12. ScoobyDann

I'm thinking (i know it hurts sometimes but you gotta do it) since I have NO money im gonna keep the 10 for a lillte while, im gonna get the warn axle shafts w/ the bigger u-joints andi think ill be ok doin the rocks even though las cruses is just down the street and they have gnarly rocks. Im not gonna keep the 10 in the rear though. 14ff of course lincoln locked cause ive seen too many rear 10s grenade. i have a decent motor nothing to spectacular though so im not TOO worried about the front 10.

13. WELL, that depends on how many times your gonna break it. If none, then yes its worth it.
    Get chromoly axles shafts and new u-joints for starters.

Damn I need to learn how to use my welder!![​IMG]
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I work with a guy that has a 10 bolt out back and so far it's surviving. It's in a '91 Chevy P/U. It's behind a supercharged 454 and this guy is way too liberal on the gas pedal, in fact he likes to smoke them on the pavement. It's hasn't grenaded yet.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Leader of the Advance Party for
    the CSA revolution in the PRK!
    url]www.handguncontrolinc.com[/url]

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My friend ran 38s on 10 bolts for over a year and we're pretty punishing.

Another runs 40s and 39.5s on a Dana 44 front and he has a 454.

Two other friends run 44s on Dana 44 fronts. One has a 12 bolt rear the other a 14 bolt full floater.

I have a 10 bolt front and I've beat the @#$@# out of mine. I really can't see why you'd need a D60 for the mud. On the rocks when you're in low range a lot (can you say torque multiplication) and you're bouncing on a hard surface and loosing and regaining traction regularly, I can see you breaking 10 bolts, however, in the mud, you never really have extreme amounts of traction, and if you spin your tires like crazy, they're still not just going to grab a hard surface and all the sudden snap your axle.

Read my post "What were you doing when you broke an axle (no rockcrawlers)" to really get a feel for how many people have broken 10 bolt fronts on less-than-hard surfaces. The answer is very few.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

16. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Seems to me that they run the 10B with 8 lugs as a 3/4 ton...should hold up as least as well.....the one thing weaker in a 10B versus a D44 is that the axle tubes are smaller, which makes it more prone to bending....if you add a truss (I run a conferr with 33's), you have that covered....the ORD 4340 Moly axles are worth $700, and you won't weigh as much as a D60 front......I think I'd also dig a little deeper in the gear department and go for 4:56...try 4LO.com if you haven't got a gear table......if you went with a 14B later, all you'd have to do is switch the front to 8 lug since you really wouldn't need a D60 ....I'd be more concerned about the C-clip 12B with stock axles.....Moser 1340H Molys are cheap insurance til you can get yer 14B.....Just an opinion, I'm sure more will follow.....JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

17. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

I am going to keep my 10 bolt up front for as long as I can. Running 35's

Keep it simple!

18. But you can always looks at it this way, if you break an axle joint or shaft you can always unlock the hubs and get your other counterparts to get you back off the trail and you can still drive home. So your not in that bad a shape. Just go with them until they break if they break and go from there.

Damn I need to learn how to use my welder!![​IMG]
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

As already posted, it just depends on how you treat the truck and knowing what situations to avoid. From my experience it's relatively easy to break a axle u-joint under the right situation. Having the wheels cranked to one side or the other, especially if you are off camber and putting a lot of weight on one side, can lead to a failure pretty quickly. The reason is that the effective strength of the u-joint greatly decreases as the angle increases.

Concerning the chromoly axleshafts, I originally was planning on upgrading but for the price it seemed to make more sense to just wait, save a little more money, and get a 60. The main trouble with the chromoly is that you are still stuck with the same size u-joints which is what I would always break anyway. Now if you could get replacement axleshafts that used a larger/stronger u-joint then it would be a good way to go.

Anyway, I'm planning on keeping the 10-bolt for now and keep carrying a set of spare axle shafts and u-joints. Changing a shaft on the trail isn't that big of a deal, though I'd rather not have to, and I can always drive out in two wheel drive (well, maybe with a few tugs from other vehicles), which is also the reason I switched over to a 14FF rear. I've seen too may guys break the front, and then break the rear trying to get out in 2wd.

20. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

W4ell I wouldn't stick much into the front axle... the 10B will be ok hopefully as long as you keep it open. Just save up for the D60 and 14B FF if you want to crawl... the only way to go. Now mud and trails make it more of a toss up... 1/2 ton stuff can survive then

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>