Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will my 700r4/241 hold up or should I swap in?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5DRAGER, Mar 2, 2003.

1. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Here's my question, Will my 700r4/241 hold up to my stock tbi 350 with dana 60 front w/detroit and 5.86's and rear dana 70 welded. I will be running 39.5 tsl's. If you think it will be all right I'm going to get a sye kit and cv driveshaft. If not I will probably install a t400 with a 203 for now and then when I get the money put in the doubler. I'm starting to have my doubts about the 700r4/241. Any thoughts, suggestions or just your .02 would be great. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I would say that if the tranny and transfer are in good now and you have a good tranny cooler you should be fine.
    But you have been around here long enough to know the first thing somebody will say is no /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think it's all in how you drive.
    Is the 5.86 grears a typo?

Eric

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

No typo, there's 5.86's stuffed in them. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I can't decide right now on what I want to do. I'm leaning towards the sye kit. I figure the transfer case should be fine, so if anything goes it will probably be the tranny. And if that happens I should be able to sell a 241 with a sye kit on it pretty easy. Then through the year start hunting the parts for the doubler. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Damn 5.86 even with 39's I'll bet your eng. revs way up there /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I'm sure by now you've seen the post where the guy blew up a 700. I'm on my 2nd 700 when the first one went after it had been rebuilt 8yrs before I got the truck the last one went the sameday my transfer case blew up. But then I'm just running 35's and I try not to brake parts.

Eric

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Put on the biggest tranny cooler you can fit and keep on rockin!! The 241 is a pretty strong case, the SYE kit is a good upgrade.

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

IMHO the 5.86's w/ the 39.5's are just about right . Your 700/241 should feel no extra pain/strain with that combo.
    Like said earlier it is all in your driving habbits as to if they will last.
    You will notice a loss of power ( gear feel ) if you put the 400/203 set up in.The 400/203 is stronger but your 700/241 ain't seeing anymore stress than in a stock application with your tire size and gear combo.
    What style Dana 70 do you have ? What series is it ?
    It is good to see people gearing there trucks where they should be geared.
    Tom

7. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

As far as the engine reving, I don't know, it hasn't been on the road since I got the axles done and it won't since this is a trail only truck.
    The dana 70 as far as I know is out of a mid to late 70's dodge, about all I know about it is that its either the same or real close to the same width as the front 60 (I can't remember) and that it takes a 5/8 offset gear (found that out the hard way).

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The RPM won't affect the tranny/tcase combo on the road any, but the traction devices and tires that large might be hard on them. I am personally on my 4th TH700R-4, but still my first NP208.

The 241 replaced the 208 and is a little stronger. The 700R4 is the question in my mind. I run 32" tires with a stock-mild carb 350 and was running 3.73 gears. I ran a decent cooler on the 2nd, 3rd, and now the 4th, and it helped.

I personally would go with a TH400 if your rig is heavy, and you plan to wheel hard. That is unless you want to spend the $ for the built 700's like the BTO or JET.

Mileage breakdown on 700's
    1st: 105K
    2nd: 15-20K
    3rd: 15-20K
    4th: 8K sofar, and about 20K by previous owner.

Harley

9. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Why are you keeping the 700R4, if you aren't driving on the street? I would just buy a 400. Don't get me wrong, I loved every 700R4 I blew out the back end of my Suburban. But if you aren't driving on the street why would you waste the money on an overdrive transmission? Wait till your 700R4 explodes and get the 400. They're about half the price new. I putting a B&M Transkit in my 700R4 next, but it's my DD. Good Luck, it sounds preety sweet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

For now I'm thinking of keeping it because of the 3.06 first gear in the 700r4 and the 2.72 low range in the 241 and because its whats already in there and spring is coming quick /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif And the funds are running out. But on the other hand I would hate to spend the money on the sye kit and rear cv driveshaft if I'm going to blow this tranny. And then be out that money that could have bought and rebuilt the turbo 400 and 203 and be that much closer to my doubler. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif OH what am I going to do? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would tell you to wheel it this spring and if it survives the wheeling then go ahead and do the SYE and CV. I am not convinced that the 700 will take the abuse of 39's and lockers without having to be rebuilt.

12. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Put a temp guage on the tranny. Keep and eye on it. If it starts to get HOT, stop, put the truck in neutral and let it idle until it cools down. Either change the fluid regularly or replace ALL the fluid with Amsoil tranny fluid. As long as you aren't running huge HP, it will live if it is properly care for and this includes keeping it cool.

13. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

If it's going to be an all trail vehicle, and you're building it that stout, I'd do the 400/203 and be done with it so that you don't have to worry about it later, no matter what. You never know what will happen in a year or two as far as tires or engines are concerned.

14. ConradK-5

ConradK-5 Registered Member

Here's an option, you can change the input of your 241 from a 27spl to a 32spl and that would allow you to put a 400 to it or even a sm465. The 241 is a strong case, used in chevy and dodge one tons. The 700r4 is in nothing more than a half ton. I tell ya what, that 400 or 465 will get toy home every time. If money is a factor I believe you could mount up a 350, even the 350 is stronger than the 700.