Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will my Axels survive?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drop the hammer, Dec 8, 2006.

1. drop the hammer

drop the hammer 1/2 ton status

Alright heres the skinny, I currently own a '83 K-5 350, 700-R4 with 6inch lift and 35in Mudders. I am planning on Hacking the fenders and stuffing 38's in when the mudders wear out. I currently have a 12 bolt rear and Dana 44 front. Both axels are unfortunatly open but I plan on giving them both the detroit treatment in the future, maybe a spool in the back, and Gearing them dowm from the garbage 3.08 to 4.11's or 4.56's. Will they survive? Or do any companys make the stuff I need to beef them up to it. I'f had success beating the crap out of 12's and 44's in the past on 36's so I dont think 2 inches makes that much differnce. Also wandering if any one in the Cape Cod area is sitting on a 465 cause I hate my auto and gotta get back to a stick

2. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

thats alot of tire and gear for a 12 and 44...even w/out lockers . Id go w. at least 3/4 ton stuff
    u can get a 14ff for liek 200 bucks.. the 3/4 ton will bolt right up, then get 3/4 outers for the front-if not jsut the whole 3/4 front axle to get matching gears... that would be cheaper than regearing your front end. a 3/4 ton front will bolt up too

3. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well hello fellow Mass-hole! :D

I would suggest upgrading your axels to a 3/4ton set. They have all the strength you would need and already have the lower gears in them.

I plan on upgrading to a 14bsf rear end soon so i don't have to get 8 lug wheels over the existing 6 lugs now.

As for the SM465, a friend of mine has a 2wd version with a hydro clutch, but you will have to swap the output shafts inorder to run a t-case behind it.

Since you are in the area, look for The Want Advertiser in convenience stores and such. They have a huge Chevy trucks section and a huge truck parts section. Its the perfect place to find yourself a set of 3/4 ton axels and a 465.

4. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

What's an axel? :dunno:

I just figured out what stiring weel is!!:haha:

5. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

No,they will not survive.Your axles,that is.Not your axels.:D

6. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

X2..It's just a matter of time and or "Drop the Hammer"

7. drop the hammer

Looks Like I gotta keep up on the Want ad and craigs list for a wasted 3/4 ton parts truck or the axels on there own. Anyway I know drop the hammer is a queer name to use but I though it was cool when I was 14 and made my first forum name and have just kinda stuck with it. "When in dought drop the hammer on the gas, it might not make your situation any better, but it make it over sooner"

8. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

I've got a 1 ton Dana 60 rear for sale with 4.88s and a Detroit. You could pair that with a D44 or D60 front and have a nice set of axles.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

*doubt*

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you keep the Dana 44 open it will live just fine with 38s if you lock it be gentle. The 14b ff or sf just gives a whole lot of peace of mind. Remember if you find a set of 3/4 tons they are more than likely going to be 4.10s if you are lucky they could be 4.56s if you are unlucky they could be 3.73s probably will be the 4.10s

11. drop the hammer

with the 465 conversion 4.10 gearing should be plenty deep for 38's right? I'm not a crawler more of a mudder and my first truck pushed 36's with 3.90's and a T-18 backed 302

12. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you can spend a lot of money to upgrade the front axle or you can spend that same amount of money of a stock 60 and "drop the hammer" any time you want and know it will take it.

I did it the hard way and wasted tons of money on a dana 44. Warn HD shafts, HD u-joints, hub fuses, locker, rebuild. I replaced everything except the housing, knuckles, spindles, and hubs.:doah:

13. drop the hammer

screw it I'll just have to save up a lot more and cut the hell out of the fenders and shove 39in tsl's on my K-5 so I know my axels will die and when they do my wife will be forced to let me upgrade to 1 tons:wink1:

14. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

well dont wast ur money into the 1/2tons now....just keep it the way it is and then upgrade when u get the money.

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A SM 465 does not have an "output shaft" in the way you are describing. What you're seeing sticking out from the back of the tranny is the end of the mainshaft which means to 'swap it out' you'll need to completely dis-assemble and install a new mainshaft with the correct output splines, plus add the correct T-case adaptor. All that work for a $50-$75 tranny really isn't worth it IMO when you can find 465/205 combo's all day long for about $300.

As for 1/2 ton stuff surviving with 38" or 39" tires...sure, as long as you don't wheel it. Then again, good luck stopping with the puny 1/2 ton brakes. Also, those wonderfully strong 7/16" lugs (all 6 of em) should inspire confidence too. :rolleyes:

I know I'm repeating what others have already said, but there are more reasons that axle strength to consider when going with larger tires. If you're looking for tires in the ~39-40" size I would recomend 4.56's at least...even with the SM 465 and only mud in mind. For trails and rocks 5.13's or 5.38's would be better. 4.10's will be clutch killers.

Rene

16. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sorry I meant main shaft... :doah:

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It sure would be nice if they were designed with removable/swappable output shafts wouldn't it?

Rene