Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will my blazer sound good with the catilytic converter taken off.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazentank, Sep 18, 2002.

1. blazentank

blazentank 1/2 ton status

Will my 86 blazer that has a rebuilt 305 that was bored .30 over and has a rv cam in it and has dual chamber 40 series flowmaster exaust dumped in the back corners sound good with the catilytic converter taken off. I have to replace the catalytic converter anyway also i have already taken all the emmisson crap off. I know it will be illegal but i don't care i just want to know if it will sound good. thank you for any responses.

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

When I swaped a 383 MPI Stroker, I chunked the cat. becasue when we torched it off all the pellets fell out of it so it was worthless. It will be a lot louder, I have the Flowmasters 40 deltaflow and my friends say they can hear me coming...about a mile away /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I like the sound, but its not worth the $2,000+ fine if you get caught with it not installed /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think it would sound better. If your going to take it off, why not punch a big hole through the center and then put it back on? Then you could pass the visual inspection.

4. StiffRide81

StiffRide81 Registered Member

I totally agree... get a big fat drill bit and hollow that tbing out!! It will look like it is there.. but believe me.. it will perform alot better and sound alot better ... but not actually be doing anything!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I had a '86 GMC 1/2ton with a bone stock original 305 and true duals w/stock manifolds and 2-chamber 40 series flowmasters and it sounded great! The cat holds back all the grunt.

6. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

how exactly do you go about emptying it out? I thought that these are loaded with fiberglass?
    How about one of those aftermarket high flow cats? Are they worth it?

7. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

Ive been doing it the other way on my 90 jimmy i took the muffler off sounds good on the loud side but still passes emisions has to here did same thing on my 88 k1500.
    was going to do the same on my 02HD with 8.1 but heard
    it takes the low end out /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    LIKE MY OLD MAN SEZ LEAVE IT STOCK /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif THATAL BE THE DAY
    /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would cut them off, torch out the centers, install a tune down the centers for a strait flow. Put them back on. It'll look like cats are still on, but it's a visual thing only.

9. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Anyone out there heard of anyone getting the fine???
    I'm a little paranoid myself, but can't think of an easy way to put one (in my case two) back on -- especially 'cos I've got an H-pipe right behind the case.
    Just don't think there'd be any room.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, to date, have not heard of a private citizen getting a fine. To be brutally honest, they would have an IMPOSSIBLE time proving YOU did the modifications. Vehicles change hands so often, and most owners are so ignorant, they could never be held responsible for something like a missing cat converter. Of course they could force you to put one *on*, but getting a fine for that? I think that would be pretty easy to beat in court.

That said, you said "two* so you'd already be illegal. (you can't add or subtract the number of converters available stock, unless you swapped in a complete new drivetrain/exhaust that was certified by the EPA for dual cats)

I wouldn't worry about it unless you have to have a visual inspection, or have a damn hard time passing emissions without it/them. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif That said, if you are paranoid, don't draw attention to yourself, with things such as large tires, lift, bright paint, loud exhaust, etc. (which is just my opinion, but every one of us knows that all those things cause people to look, and if you are doing something illegal, do you want that attention?) Although they (meaning police, I've yet to hear of roving EPA cat converter inspectors lol) may have no legal authority to do anything about it, they could still make life unpleasant.

11. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

at least here in va. ignorance is no excuse, and possession is 9/10. if you own a car that is w/o cats they will give you a ticket for it when they pull you over. cats, mufflers, altered exhaust, altered suspension, etc. but they don't normally stop you unless you are speeding or something else stupid. Besides most of those laws are written for the fast and the furious kids with the 5 inch pipes on a honda civic. lol. lucky me my vin says it's a 74 (before cats). My mom got a ticket for altered exhaust because of the tips i had on my camaro. but it was thrown out of court because they couln't prove that it altered the performance or emmissions of the stock exhaust system.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Even if it *is* no excuse, they would have to prove that a REASONABLE person would know the converter was missing, or even what it is.

I don't see how any court could find that 95% of the people out there that can't even change their own oil, would either reasonably A)know that they were MISSING the converter, and B)know what one WAS.

Of course, the court would have to be the one to decide that, and you have basically a 50/50 chance of winning or losing, so the odds aren't necessarily stacked in your favor, even if you are "right".

Good advice would be to make sure that others in your area haven't been hassled like 74K5 mentioned...going to court over exhaust tips? Come on! You'd think the police and courts would have better things to do than try and prove they change emissions.

13. k5_beater

k5_beater Registered Member

all you need is a broom stick handle. keep jabbing it until all the crap comes out.

14. Piranha300

Piranha300 Registered Member

True duels sound nice!

15. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I assumed I was illegal anyway just having true duels. Big question is, do I just hope for the best or spend big money on a new y-pipe, new cat, new muffler, and all new 3" tubing???
    Is there any statute of limits concerning when you can legally alter it to duels? Would it be illegal to have a y-pipe to a single cat, then duel the rest of the way??
    I know you're not EPA but I'm just looking for opnions.
    smack

16. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I think the leagal system in that year is Y-pipe to the cat, one pipe to the muffler, then you can go duels. I used to run a Flowmaster 3" system that way for a few years. Ripped it all off when I became interested in rocks.

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

My dad can put stickers on cars, so i never have to worry about the whoel inspection thing /forums/images/icons/cool.gif , on my blazer i just have the y-pipe to a 2.5 pipe to the muffler, then just a dump pipe right of that, not that great, but soon ill be upgrading to headers, duals, with 40 series 2 chambers that exit with a 2.5 striaght out the back of the truck. the only thing i was wondering, is wear can you get the right pipes to fit the truck, would a auto parts store have them?

18. smack

smack 1/2 ton status

Then, I guess you'd have two places where the pipes cross over; one with the Y, and one that splits off the muffler.
    I just put in my H-pipe so at this point I'm not about to ripe it all out again.
    But one of my exit pipes is about to break in half so now the question is do I spend the money replacing it (right side) or change everything back to legal (way more money).
    Hmmmmmmmmm.
    smack

19. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

My tailpipe just broke and of course the muffler needed replacing too. I bought a Flowmaster 40 series and the exhaust guy replaced it from the Y back with stainless 2-1/2 inch. It sounds good but I think its too loud. I'll probaly keep it though. I know its only a single but I actually think that going from 2" pipe to 2-1/2 with a less restrictive muffler helped. I dont know if its the noise or not but it seems like there is a little more pickup at part throttle. Maybe not, its hard to judge.

20. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yep. True duals are nice also. If you go that route, you might want to run an H-pipe. I think that's what mine needs. When you're accelerating, the pop switches from one side of the truck to the other.