Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will my computer run a Vortec?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Mar 15, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I have found a Vortec engine out of a wrecked truck. I have a '90 K5. I was wondering if my computer, with a reprogrammed chip, would run a vortec engine?

2. dark eternal

dark eternal Registered Member

99% sure you will need an entire new computer from that model year engine vehicle.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Vortec requires/uses a PCM, and it is CPI not TBI, as well as OBD1 vs. 2 which changes a BUNCH of things in relation to the computer.

Heck, for all I know with a TON of work on your part you *might* be able to make an older ECM work, but I guarantee, IF it's even possible, it's not a simple PROM modification. Not going to be worth the time or effort, especially when folks on here have installed Vortec motors in their trucks without trying to utilize older components.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I agree. The TBI based ECM most likely does not have nearly the capacity or the provision for all of the sensors required to run a newer Vortec motor. Another option would be to re-use the TBI setup by buying a new intake manifold.

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Well I would like to get 400+ hp. (I know I would have to modify a Vortec engine to get that). I have looked at just building an engine with Vortec heads or some other aftermarket heads, cam, pistons, and this induction system- http://www.firstinjections.com/ Is anyone running one of these?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, but if thats the case, just swap the heads onto your block. TBI intake is a cost prohibitive piece.

Nothing real special about the Vortec short block (besides roller cam) so if you aren't installing it as is, I wouldn't bother doing the swap at all. Just personal opinion, but part of the "beauty" of the Vortecs is the CPI, you remove that, you remove most of the benefit of the swap.

My opinion of course.

7. tnscrambler

tnscrambler Newbie

I've got a '99 model vortec 350 in my '86, It uses a custom harness from howell to use the stock vortec computer, has all four O2 sensors, data link conector for obdII, etc...

Its nice, but the harness cost $700:(

Good luck,
    Justin

8. mo

mo 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't pay 2 grand for that injection setup...the vortec manifold doesn't appear to be ready yet either. I think you could get a similar setup for about half that price (SDPC vortec base ~350, used LTR's, ported plenum, used 52mm TB, and the rest stock tpi stuff, maybe injectors and a prom(~150 or burn your own)

but it would pry be better just to leave the vortec block alone and run it like the others said

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You can buy a Vortec to TBI adaptor intake for I believe $200.......it's a performance style intake so if you are getting rid of the stock intake anyway it's not that much more money. A guy here at work just swapped in a GM Vortec crate motor into his '95 that had TBI using this method and it runs really good.......granted the crate motor is rated at 300 hp. But he has all of the stock sensors, ECM, etc. Even using a stock Vortec motor converted over to TBI should gain a noticable power increase and a little more room for modifications. However, if your goal is 400 horses you may need to start someplace else because any of the stock EFI setups might have trouble supporting that level.

10. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Technically, yes it can but it wouldn't be easy and why would want you? Most of GM's sensors really haven't changed from the TBI/TPI/MPFI systems. There are just more of them. The computers just got smarter and engines got better.

If you want to keep it fuel injected just get the computer and harness with the engine and use it. Otherwise, swap it over to carbed, or the TBI adapter. There are a few of use that have done the swap and are around for help. I used a 5.7 out of a 99 tahoe, with a 96 computer and the stock wiring harness. I can go into details of why/how I did this if your interested.

Mike