Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will My Insurance Skyrocket? Please help, important!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChvyWakeBrdr0405, Jan 22, 2003.

1. ChvyWakeBrdr0405

ChvyWakeBrdr0405 Registered Member

ok new years eve wasnt to good to me this year, i wasnt drunk or anything, but i backed into my friends car turning around in a tight space. thought i had 6 inches, only had 5. anyway the damage came out to like $2000 to replace and repaint his driver door of his 94 ford crown vic. i dont know if i should use insurance or not. at first i thought no way, im 17, male, and the rates will kill me. but now $2000 is gonna set me way back with my truck. ive got perfect grades, a perfect record and only used my insurance once to pay for a new windshield when a rock flew off a truck and cracked the other one. do you think that for this claim they would jack my rates like crazy. it wasnt like i was speeding or driving recklessly, just backed up an inch too far. i live in cali if that helps any, so what would you guys do?

2. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Well when I tottaled out a toyota my insurance which is state farm raised my insurance like 11 dollars a month. Just depends on who you have. I was 20 at the time two years ago so I dont think theyll jack it up to high.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

use the insurance, it shouldn't go up that much. Make sure the police report or what you turn into the insurance place notes it was a parking accident, not a moving vilolation. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

yeah what he said make sure it says parking lot thingy not moving violation... most places geico for example forgice the first one!

Use it! if ya cant afford 2000 righ tnow.... either way it will eventually get ya.. now or over the years to come... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

If you were backing and they were parked you are at fault for the accident no matter where you were...in a parking lot, in your yard, in a corn field...it dosent matter. Your liability coverage will pay out 100% of their damages and you will pay for it 2X over the next 2-3 years depending on when your policy renewal date is in accordance to the date of the accident.

I am not trying to scare you or contradict what anyone is saying but I am an auto claims adjuster and I deal with this all day long, all over the lower 48. There is no way to put any comparitive neglegence on a parked veh (except if its illegaly parked but then it would only be a 90% you 10% them situation), especially when the car that hits it is backing. If you are backing you are supposed to be aware of your surroundings...

6. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

What state? And I would not report it cause it will usually stay on your driving record for 3 years.

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I say pay the $2k... I also made a rhyme /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif... anyway... If you go through insurance, they're not going to care whether you backed up an inch too far or built a ramp to jump the truck off a roof backwards and into that car... Your rates will go up the same... /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

8. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

I have to agree with 85Mouse, you will be better off in the long run to pay for the damage yourself, assuming the other driver will go along with it; however you must protect yourself and once the car is repaired, have them sign a release. At your age, try to keep it off your record.

Insurance companies are like Novicane, it does not stop pain, only delays it. The insurance company will pay now, but you will pay later.

9. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

1 more thing....

If you do decide to pay for it your self try to use a check or money order and write on it

"full and final payment for backing into (put their name here) vehicle and damaging the bumper on so and so date"

That way the check works as a contract, they have to sign it to cash it and their signature basically says they cant come back on you or your insurance for that particular situation.
    Good luck