Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will my K5 Bend During Body Work?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kim tate, Dec 17, 2001.

1. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

I've removed the doors and inner wheel wells (front). I plan to remove inner and outer rocker panels next. Are these body parts considered structural? Will the truck bend while I wait for the next free weekend to replace with new panels? I plan to reinstall in reverse order. First rockers, then wheel wells, and eventaully the doors. I'm in need of your advice. Certainly don't want to fight to get truck back in alignment as I attempt my first body work. Thanks.

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

No, your truck will not "bend" The frame is designed to support the body.

" Wider IS Better!!!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

3. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

You're laughing [​IMG][​IMG] if you're body is still mounted up to the frame! I had the entire rear floor out &amp; half the front floor when I cut the rockers out from the door sill down &amp; that was with the empty body perched on stands; completely empty with no doors; frame; anything!!!

You'd be amazed how strong steel is; even a small strip like sheetmetal! No; it's not going to hold driving or anything but for keeping itself together just sitting there; it's perfectly fine!

Good Luck

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

As long as your mounts are good, and not rusted through, and it's not a full convertible then your fine.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I would tack weld in a brace or 2 before cutting out the rocker panels. Granted what I did to mine was more extreme than what you are doing, but I had a few braces in mine and still had to do some work to get everything in place before I welded the new pieces in.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd