Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will my poor ten bolts make it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Saxwonder84, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Saxwonder84

Saxwonder84 1/2 ton status

I finally have the money to get lift and soon tires, but that leaves no money for axles. Would it be alright to run 38.5 tires with my stock tens (untill I can save up for the one tons)? This hobby just cost to much. My thought is that I can lift it and put tires on it so at least I can use it or do I have to wait for the axles first and jsut not get to wheel it till then? Oh by the way here in Texas rocks are rare so all my truck does is soft mud. I'm thinking that might not be as bad on the axles.

Jacob

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Your rear wont make it if you do any wheeling at all, they might make it for a little while, at least you could upgrade the shafts and carry spares. It doesnt cost to much to get a 14bff usually around $150 and it is really worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Saxwonder84

yeah but then I would have to drop money to regear the front. I think I'll see how long my rear will last. It will be like a game. Anybody want to place wagers?

Jacob

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah but then I would have to drop money to regear the front. I think I'll see how long my rear will last. It will be like a game. Anybody want to place wagers?

Jacob

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you 5 bucks if you wheel hard it won't last past your 2nd or 3rd wheeling trip.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

All I know is my buddy in a heavy Burb' on 31's bent his housing . Myself on 32's spit out my carrier , on the street ( with 20 trips on the trip to flexy stuff ) . With the 38.5's thats a lot to make that axle turn . I love my 12 bolt and EVEN I WOULD run a 14 bolt with tires that big . 35's and a 4 inch lift would be much better for now /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

axles first, THEN tires/lift. Just my opinion...

in the long run, its a lot cheaper to do it that way... atleast for me it would have been.

jason, recovering 1/2 ton owner /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What tranny you run? What gear ratio is in the truck now?

38's might survive awhile in the front but the back isn't going to hold it. The front will eventually break stuff too. Ball joints will be trashed pretty quickly, axleshafts, ujoints, etc will all be taxed to the max. Something will give eventually. Probably sooner then later.

Harley

8. Saxwonder84

How crazy would it look to run 10 in lift with 35 in tires? That way I could keep my ten bolt for awhile and not break anything. Right? I think that would look kinda poor though.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Get the 1 ton axles first. Yeah, I know it sucks having too save up for parts. My K5 has hardly moved in the last 2 years, but it's better then breaking down out in the middle of nowhere, haveng too walk and pay for a tow. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Does the rear have a Gov-loc? If so , it will blow up guaranteed. See it all the time at work, in fact just rebuilt one yesterday, we replace them with Eatons though. I think they will survive with 38s but mostlikely not THAT long. My buddy had 38s and 5.13s, he broke 2 axles, but that was dropping the clutch at like 3k, (it did pretty bad burnouts)!!

But, my buddie used to have a 10 bolt with the gov loc and 35's and nothing ever went wrong with that rearend (it did pretty bad burnouts too!) in fact we pulled the cover when we pulled it out, after like 107k miles there was NO metal on the magnet! Other then his, its the only 10 bolt I know of that didnt blow!

[ QUOTE ]
    How crazy would it look to run 10 in lift with 35 in tires? That way I could keep my ten bolt for awhile and not break anything. Right? I think that would look kinda poor though.

[/ QUOTE ]

rjfguitar has 10" with 35's, it doesnt look bad. They are wide though, that makes it look differrent.

11. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    axles first, THEN tires/lift. Just my opinion...

in the long run, its a lot cheaper to do it that way... atleast for me it would have been.

jason, recovering 1/2 ton owner /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed... that's the way to go. I'm in the process of getting my axles right now (60/14). Of course it would be much more fun to throw on the lift & tires.. but getting the axles first is the way to go. Especially if money is tight. Otherwise you have to either try to convert ot 6 lugs & grind calipers when you do get axles, or buy new rims & tires. This way, you're set.

12. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I'd say...at least just get a 14bolt in the rear...those are pretty cheap, and if yer not a dumbass like me u wont jump on the first good one u find which turned out to be a van one which required more work to make it work...and after buying it about 2 months ago it still sits in the bed of my pickup!!! but ya do a 14bolt at least....but if U insist on running 10's which isnt as HORRIBLE as some make it out to sound...if u are prepared!! keep a spare shaft for the rear, cuz u can still make it home with busted fronts! but at least keep it OPEN differential...u lock that thing up or weld it and u might as well forget it!! thats just my .02! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

just a few thoughts to ponder.
    alot of people say how cheap it is to switch to a 14bff.
    well sure you can get one for about $150.00 ( i did ).
    anyways, you still have other things to get :
    1. conversion u joint ( two if you want an extra to carry )
    2. 3/4 ton outers for the front , unless you want to carry
    two spare tires , or you get the adapters to run 6 lug in the rear.
    3. 8 lug rims. unless you buy the adapters
    4. 14bff spring plates and u bolts

now this is based on the 14bff being in great shape as far as you not having to replace bearings,seals and brakes.

so far i have paid :
    $150.00 for my 14bff
    $100.00 for my 3/4 ton front outers
    $25.00 for my spring plates and u bolts
    $26.00 for my conversion u joint
    $60.00 for brakes, wheel cylinders,other parts
    $200.00 for 8 lug rims ( used )
    total so far $ 561.00
    now my tires i have now are 35s. i will wear them out and then buy the larger tires ( which is the reason for the 14bff ) , when i have more money /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I never thought I could break my 10 bolt with 38.5s and I broke it in less than half of my trips last year.

15. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Dude... just run your 10 bolts. You said you run in mostly mud. They will be ok DEPENDING on how you drive the truck. You will just have to accept the fact that if things get squirrely, and conditions happen to be right, you will break something. For example: you are powering thru a sloppy mud hole. The 38s are chewing perfectly. The 10 bolts are happy. Then the left front 38 catches a log in a rut. Guess what happens then? Prolly, the axle spits out. Dont look at your buddies and say '$#$%^&&^ 10 bolt pieces of $%$#!!!!' because you knew it would happen! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif You have to say something like... 'sheesh, one of these little 10 bolts finally broke... good thing I have some spare stuff!' etc. Get it? I run 38" TSLs on a 14FF with a Dana 44 front that isnt that much stronger than a 10 bolt and I havent had any issues. You just have to drive it accordingly. And you cant expect them to last forever. If you treat them gently, they may (and probably will) last you until you save up enough to do the driveline. You totally do not have to run 1 ton diffs before anything else.

Mike