Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will New 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 Vortecs fit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tuff84blaze, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Tuff84blaze

Tuff84blaze 1/2 ton status

Just got my new 4wheel magizine and it says advanced adapters sells turnkey 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0's that come with a stand alone computer control module. The 4.8 puts out 300hp 330lb ft. and is the cheapest of the bunch at around $5,000. Which is still pretty expensive but better than buying a new truck.

Anyways I was wondering if the 4.8 would bolt upto my SM465, because if it does I might just have to save my Laundry, and Lunch money for the next 20 years /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i don't know but for under 5k i would buy this

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

'Fore you buy a new Vortc, think "piston slap". Lots of people HATE those new mills. Do a Google search for "vortec piston slap" or the like 'fore you go much further.

Me, I have no direct experience -- my Chebbies are all 73-91, and I intend to keep it that way /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

The vortec motors have the same bellhosing bolt patern as your comon 350. But why use a wimpy 6.0 when you can get an 8.8 vortec motor for killer torque. But seriously, check these guys out if your looking to get a crate motor. www.sdpc2000.com I would recomend the HT383.

5. Tuff84blaze

Thanks for the input and suggestions. But I'm still sold on the new vortecs. My Dad and Brother both have new GM's which have 6.0, 5.3, and duramax engines, and I drive the 6.0 regularly to school which is about a hundred miles a day, never heard of piston slap or noticed it. The reason I drive my Dads Yukon with the 6.0 is because it gets better gas milage than my blazer, and is able to drive up the 3 mile long 8% grade at the speedlimt without even thinking about shifting out of overdrive, that I have to climb everday.

I want one of these new engines for three reasons 1.reliability 2. Fuel injection 3. Power to displacement ratio.

6. Stroked72Blazer

7. Tuff84blaze

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If you want fuel injection then try this one
    http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&amp;catid=120&amp;pid=463
    You will lose 15 ftlbs but you will gain 25 HP over the HT 383 and with the added benifit of fuel Injection.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a sweet engine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, but I bet you have to run higher Octane fuel for it to run right /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I have a 6.0L with EFI. It gets 12MPG and my BBC396 with a carburetor gets 5MPG and doesn't pull a trailer as well.

9. Stroked72Blazer

You might no be able to run 87 but i don't see why 89 wouldn't work. It's only got 9.4:1 compression.

10. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

1.reliability

[/ QUOTE ]

never heard of a 5.7 or 7.4 liter motor having piston slap problems as delivered. Certainly nothing to have TSB's on, and not large numbers of consumers complaining of problems as serious as piston slap.

2. Fuel injection

[/ QUOTE ]

You can fuel inject any motor you want, thats not an issue.

3. Power to displacement ratio

[/ QUOTE ]

The gains are from technology, and the differences (assuming, haven't read up on the 4.8/5.3/6.0 family) in stroke/piston diameter is probably much less than what fuel injection and better cylinder head design give to the overall design. Personally I feel they are down to "fine tuning" the OHV engines, using technology to wring every last ounce of power and economy out of them, while nothing "revolutionary" is happening with the design.

It's easier and cheaper to make more power with more cubic inches, and a 5.7 injected motor will be cheaper, easier, and make more power than a 5.3.

IMO

12. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Piston slap is an issue w/ the new vortecs, I am speaking from experience owning a 2001 2500HD. If they told me this was on operating characteristic of the new motors, I would have never bought one. Just my .02c

13. Stroked72Blazer

This has been a slight problem, the cabon is building on top of the pistons and un blancing them causing them to slap. There is an article in Hot Rod (Dec 2002?) explaining this better and giving a solution. Its in reaction time or Pit Stop