Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will no top and no doors with no roll cage bend frame or body on a 85 k5??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben Tanner, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Ben Tanner

Ben Tanner Newbie

Hey new to hobby after long time. first time in a full size rig going on trial ride labor day weekend in Ga with some buddys. Talked me into headers and a holley truck avenger to get me started have top off can i take doors off as long as i won't jump the truck and get away with being able to fit the doors back on later or will the thing twist into a sagging heap????????
    :confused:

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think I know what you're asking, and the answer is that the doors don't provide body support, so you can run with them off and they'll still fit later. The top does provide support but I haven't heard of one not fitting back on.

I say take 'em off and leave 'em off.

3. Ben Tanner

Ben Tanner Newbie

that's what i wanted to hear

that was what i was thinking but buddy said he wasn't sure but he is a truck guy and dosen't know 100% about blazers but everything thing else chevy and thought i would find answers here thanks

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No doors...no problem. No tailgate and you'll likely bend the tailpan and the bedsides will spread. Been there, done that and it sucked!! I had to use a come-a-long to pull the bedsides in far enough so the tilgate would close when i put it back on. Eventually I had to cut out the bent tailpan and replace it.

Rene

5. mikey_d05

Interesting find, I've only flexed my jimmy with the top off and the tailgate on. I'm narrowing it this winter which will not allow the use of a tailgate. Rene...do the body panels deflect noticably or just enough to allow the tailgate not to fit. If it's to the point where it looks like hell I'll probably brace them, but if it's just enough to not allow the tailgate to latch I probably won't worry about it. Sorry about the hijack but thanks for any info.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

After BB '03 was more or less done, I had wheeled Lower Helldorado, and about half of Pritchett Canyon before trying to remount my gate, top and doors. My bedsides were spread about 2 1/2", with the drivers side definitely being the worst.

I don't think it happened all at once either, just the cumulative effect of landing on the sliders a few times, and the tailpan not having the strength to keep from bending.

I'd brace it depending on how much you're narrowing it.

Rene

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

The doors provide a lot of support to the body, more so on the '75 and eariler models though. If the fiberglass top provides any support it is very little. I noticed a huge differance after taking the doors of my '75, but no change after taking the top off the '75 or the '80. Think about it, which one is steel?

8. mikey_d05

I have no experience with first gens so this may not apply but flex your truck and open a door, it should open freely (mine do anyways). That shows there's no pressure on the latch, and I seriously doubt that there's much force on the hinges since that area is reinforced with the pillar, firewall, etc. The top just by it's shape provides support. Look at the bedsides in relationship to the tailgate when it's flexed and has the top off :yikes: then do the same with the top on. Just for the record, when constructed correctly, fiberglass can be a structural material, it just doesn't happen to be the case in our situation.

9. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Great info I had no ideal that the bed could bend outward without the tail gate. This should be in a best practice guide for k5's

10. bigjbear

On my '80, when flexed, the doors fit great, untill I open one. Then it will not close properly untill i get level again. My '78 was the same way. So both of my 1/2 cabs were like that. On my '73 there is a huge differance with the doors out. The fact that these tops are not structural is why they don't make a difference. Having the tailgate off is what made the difference, nto the top. When I cracked my top, the doors were out. Never happened with the doors in during previous trips to the same place.

11. mikey_d05

(smacking head against wall) Nevermind, with a first gen I can totally see how it would go to hell with the doors and tailgate out. Please disregard all previous statements as they apply only to second gens and anyone with a first gen is now dumber for having read them. :D

My doors do open and close properly when flexed, but they don't fit very well in the first place so that could definitely be a factor too.

12. Ben Tanner

Ben Tanner Newbie

wow

so doors matter and provide support but would i bend anything so they wouldn't line up anymore ????? in a stock truck???????
    :confused:

13. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

14. bigjbear

After one trip things will *most likely* fall back into place. Eventually, well just look around...