Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will platinum plugs work ok with an MSD box?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BayouBlazer88, Sep 28, 2003.

1. BayouBlazer88

BayouBlazer88 1/2 ton status

I've always heard the rumor that the platinum can't handle the extra spark energy that an MSD box puts out, but I've never seen actual evidence to support it. So has anyone run the platinums (like Bosch platinums) with an MSD box? If so, have you had any problems?

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

You know my story already... but I've run Bosch plugs on a 6-AL box and found them to be one of the best plugs out there for that application! Just my .02!

-Dan

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's pretty funny. I have more customer complaints about Bosch plugs than all of the other brands combined. I wouldn't run that junk in my lawnmower, and I don't even know why. Everyone complains about them. Had a cute college chick come in the other day with 3 week old Bosch platinums and a cylinder misfire code. Sold her some Densos and she hasn't been back. Not sure if that's good or bad! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I personally am not sold on the platinum concept. I use AC plugs in my Chevys and change them a couple times a year.

4. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Do you ever clean off (wire brush, solvent, etc) and re-gap your plugs for reuse, or do you just throw the used ones away?

5. KRAZIE87K5

Here's the deal... you run a po-dunk motor which burns fluids other than fuel... they will foul easily.

Guess your customers run junky junk. Sell them on a replacement long block next time they come in to return those Bosch plugs.

I love em... and they work great. I get about 20k per set.

-Dan

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

ac delco /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Only 20K per set ? Thats not very good life for a plug that expensive.
    I have run Bosch Platinmums on high performance ign(Mallory Unilite/promaster coil and DUI stuff) and dont like them. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    My problems with them include.
    burned out center electordes /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    cracked center insulators /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    short life. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    I think I have around 30K on my .99 cent each AC Delcos in my TBI K5 with DUI and they still work great. I think it is about time for a new set though. Dont think I will use Bosch.

8. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

As long as the electrode isn't worn down and I am broke, I will clean them, gap and reinstall. Otherwise if I have 20K or so on the old plugs I drop in new ones. I am runing ACs in my burb too. Guys at Advance Auto wouldn't sell me the Bosch +4s. Told me too many customers bringing them back. Crappy mileage and rough running. Mechanic for one of customers even came in a told them not to sell them for the SBC with TBI. Said "they burn too clean, and the computer thinks that there is not enough gas in the mixture so it runs rich all the time." I didn't feel like doing plugs twice so I just got the ACs.

What do you guys think about that, I am not sure I agree with him but I don't really understand the TBI computer either.

Tim

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Said "they burn too clean, and the computer thinks that there is not enough gas in the mixture so it runs rich all the time."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't buy it. From my rudimentary combustion chamber knowledge, blocking the spark from the mixture (as in the 4 electrode desgn) CAN'T help matters.

As much technology as the makers are putting into the engines, I would have to bet they test the chamber design efficiency based on the plug design to be used. Although the manufacturer won't be "indexing" the plugs, not only would the additional electrodes interfere with ignition (potentially) they may also interfere with flow patterns in the cylinder.

I'm sure I'm only looking at one side of the coin, and in an engine that potentially will foul plugs easily, they may last "longer" than a single electrode, but the current will always travel the path of least resistance, it's not like you are getting 4 sparks with each combustion event.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Do you ever clean off (wire brush, solvent, etc) and re-gap your plugs for reuse, or do you just throw the used ones away?

[/ QUOTE ]

I throw them away. No big loss at $1.59 a piece for new ones.

Dan, I disagree with you. My truck burns nothing but gasoline and never has. In fact, the best motor I ever had in my truck is the one I tried the Platinums in. It ran like crap and I took them out. R45TS for me ONLY!

My customers run various types of equipment. I refuse to sell the Platinum 2s and +4s because they nearly always come back with misfire codes. I'll sell the regular platinums if they ask for them specifically, but if they as for my opinion, they leave with something more appropriate for their application (AC for GM, Motorcraft for Ford, Denso for Japanese, and Champions are commonly requested for Dodge because we don't have Autolite).

I'm definitely not sold on that Bosch trash. I would consider using Bosch Super (non-platinums) because they're cheap, but I'm usually not THAT cheap and I just spend the extra couple bucks and get the AC's.

EDIT:

I find it hard to believe that you're so convinced that not only do I run crappy motors, but that all my customers that bring those plugs back so as well. Everybody else is wrong and you're right? Sorry man I'm not buying that one.

My stuff always runs correctly. I always use a good fuel filter, have fresh plugs/wires, I have an MSD 6AL box and my timing is set correctly. My idle mixture is set so that my truck runs great and I haven't had any engine running issues at all. I'm VERY pleased with the way my truck has been running lately.

11. KRAZIE87K5

[ QUOTE ]
    Everybody else is wrong and you're right? Sorry man I'm not buying that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

That’s not what I said at all. I DID say that I have had good experience with the standard Bosch platinum plugs in my engines. My engines (much like yours and your customers as well apparently) have always run clean, without excessive oil consumption, keeping my plugs clean. I'm currently running the standard Bosch Platinum plugs in my VORTEC MOTOR (which was the original question in this thread BTW), and I haven't had issues with them at all for the past 6000mi or so. My truck runs great as a matter of fact - again, much like yours so you say.

I forgot to ask… you’re running a Vortec motor in your truck? I’m not sure that you are… but I suppose I could be WRONG on that too?

But if you'd like to turn this into a question of throwing around BS comments, I'd like to assert the following:

Normally I maintain a fairly level headed demeanor around CK5. I don’t get in anyone’s face or make retaliatory comments just for the sake of getting attention. I speak from my experiences, and only try to help people get to the answer they are looking for as quick as possible. If you’d like to continue this conversation at a later date, why not come visit with us in November? I’d personally be happy to finally meet you in person.

-Dan

12. KRAZIE87K5

[ QUOTE ]
    I've always heard the rumor that the platinum can't handle the extra spark energy that an MSD box puts out, but I've never seen actual evidence to support it. So has anyone run the platinums (like Bosch platinums) with an MSD box? If so, have you had any problems?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fact of the matter is that GM only installed Platinum plugs in those motors, as they were one of the first models to offer the 100k mi. tune up deal that GM introduces in the mid 90's. If you go and buy the AC Delco plugs, you will be buying Platinum plugs.

Just my .02, sorry for having hih-jacked this thread far too much already. I'll try and get back on topic at this point... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

-Dan

13. KRAZIE87K5

[ QUOTE ]
    Only 20K per set ? Thats not very good life for a plug that expensive.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The Bosch plugs I am referring to are only $1.99 ea.! Not that bad, right?

For everyone else-

Here is the AC Delco plug you are supposed to run in the Vortec engines as far as GM is concerned ($6-7 ea. @ most parts houses /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ):

http://www.acdelco.com/html/pi_plugs_prof_main.htm

G'night all! See ya tomorrow!

-Dan

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hey if Bosch plats works good for you great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I havent bought a set for many years. when I bought them they were around 4.oo ea. After having all the troubles I listed I have stayed away from them. I didn't want a piece of ceramic insulation breaking off in my combustion chamber and ruin an expensive motor. They have prolly improved them since then. These were older built v8s and inline 6s and hot VWs.

I did have a good experience with a set I installed in my Bonniville with 3.8.L They lasted 50K miles with no problems.

The orginal question the poster asked was " Will platinum plugs work ok with an MSD box?" It said nothing about newer Vortec motors. The guys profile says he has a TBI motor with vortec heads.
    I did not have a good experience with Platinium plugs in my 89 TBI with swirl port heads and aftermarket ign. I have headers on my K5 and changing plugs is more of a hassle so I like to use plugs that I know I wont be pulling out for a while. Thats why I stick with AC. I use what works for me.
    I really wasn't trashing Bosch I simply listed my experiences with them.
    Many people use Bosch with no problems. I used to use regular Bosch plugs all the time in my Dune Buggys/sand rail. But Platinum plugs would not work in them either. 1835cc race/drag motors would eat them up like crazy.
    I say use what ever works best. Try a set. If they work Great ! 1.99 is not bad.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yep dan I sell lots of those AC Delco platinums for Vortec motors. Never had a single customer come back yet with them. They are expensive ($5.99 each) but like I said, no comebacks with those. Motorcraft makes a double platinum too that is stock in many newer Ford engines.

Like I sad, I don't have any real explanation for WHY the Bosch plugs come back with all kinds of misfire codes, but I have had customer comebacks from Bosch plugs for every kind of vehicle...not just trucks, cars, American, whatever. I have had comebacks on American cars, Hondas, Nissans, even a Kia once. If you have good luck with them, great. Maybe my customers are just idiots and don't gap them correctly. Maybe they have O2 sensors that are 8 years old and their rigs run so rich that it's amazing the black smoke isn't killing every bug for miles. I have no way of knowing. What I'm simply saying is that I work the parts counter every week for 40 hours. I had 100 (exactly 100) warranty customers last week and countless others bought only non-warranty items from me.

No I'm not running a Vortec motor. I've just got a normal 350 from my '86 K30 in there.

16. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Just on a whim, I thought I would replace my plugs - after all I run an MSD 6A and got a 'good deal' on some Bosch Platinum plugs when I installed the MSD and replaced plugs/wires/cap & rotor about 15 months ago.

I replaced the passenger side plugs (harder to reach, so I did them first) and found them to be in fairly good shape after running for a little over a year and a half. I then moved over to the driver side (easier to reach, so I saved em for last) and replaced from the rear to the front, and was astonished at what had happened to my 5th and 3rd plugs!

The 5th plug has a cracked insulator, with wear on the cracked part, which leads me to believe it's been that way for some time. The 3rd plug is MISSING THE ENTIRE INSULATOR AND CORE!!! I should also mention that the boot didnt want to come off that plug and that I had to throw a cheater pipe on my 3/8" ratchet to break it loose.

I hope this sheds some light on whether to run Bosch Platinum plugs with an MSD Ignition. I am pretty sure that I wont buy Bosch Platinum again!!!

NOTE - Although I dont have the old plugs that I pulled out when I put the Bosch Platinum's in 15 months ago, I did inspect each one, and they were completely intact, although a bit worn.

[​IMG]

17. KRAZIE87K5

Ouch.... that #5 is rough. I can say I've never seen a plug do that before. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

BTW i run AC R44LTSM with my vortec heads. bought bosh, bought platnium, and thing ran like KAKA, even champion plugs run better, from my experience...

ARQ.

19. KRAZIE87K5

You know... thats some good news right there. When I bought the plugs I am currently running, my local napa told me that there were just TWO choices in plugs, the $6 Delco or the $2 Bosch. After seeing those pics, I am glad to hear that. I'll have to keep that PN handy! Maybe I will swap these plugs out earlier than I expected.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

-Dan

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run Champion truck plugs with my MSD. Never had a problem. They hold up pretty well. I pull them out every 6 months and clean and gap them whether they need it or not. I have notice that the gap doesn't seem to erode much with them. They are hardly ever off from what they were installed at. I run Champion truck plug #4018.

Harley