Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

will side saddle pu fuel tanks fit under my blazer ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big d, Aug 4, 2004.

1. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

plus i want to retain my stock blazer tank, just have extra capacity . i did a search but came up short. anyone know ? any info/pics is greatly appreciated. thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

nope, if you look at the truck floor, its shaped for the tanks to fit under. the balzer floor is flat.

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

yes it can be done. I've got the 30gal main tank and then a 13gal saddle tanks under each rocker. I'll get some pics for ya tomorrow.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Saddle tanks do not come in 13 gallon, only 16 and 20.

No they will not fit under a Blazer, the 16 gallon ones hardly fit under a shortbed truck.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

You can do anything you want too.... The saddle tanks aren't very practical, because where are you going to fill it up at?

Where you live, that cap will always be covered in mud and snow. Plus, I won't let you run it through the passenger compartment /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd get a bigger tank for the stock location--why stap a bomb on each side of your blazer??.Its bad enough us pickup owners have to live in fear of T-bone collisions--I wish my truck had a tank between the frame rails where it belonged in the first place.GM sent me 3 of those "vouchers" for 1000 dollars off the purchase of a new truck when that lawsuit was finally settled over the sidesaddle tank issue--I opted for the 100 cash settelment,never got a dime,that was a few years ago now. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

I went the other way and put the blazer tank in my p/u
    those saddles are rock magnets. look at putting a 40 gal tank in.

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

any thing will fit.. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

re: Blazer tank in PU ... how difficult? Pix? How about one of the larger-capacity aftermarket tanks, or a Burb tank?

I too am scared poopless /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif of my saddle tanks.

-- A

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I had the stock tank in the rear, and a pair if saddle tanks (Yes, 3 tanks total) in my 72 K5. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

what made this easy was the 63" spring swap. the white circle is the rear bracket that supports the tank "lip" and the yellow is where the front spring hanger use to be. but with a 1.5" body lift, i can run the fill tube between the frame and the body. besides the angle iron brackets holding the lip are homemade straps, 3 under, 2 over. i made them outta HD banding material with bolts welded on the ends

there is about 8+" above the diff before the tank. but the diff moves back under compression and may not hit it. and besides, the only time that the rear wll compress is when im coming down from being airborn /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

he does have saddle tanks I don't exactly know what size they are but there big.

13. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I'm quite sure someone back in the day made such a critter....because...last summer a blazer chalet of all things stopped into our shop for a u joint r/r....they were from gunnison colorado and they had saddle tanks on both sides of the K5...the fill necks where inside the wheel wells....so it is possable...would love to see some pics and info....

DW

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd get a bigger tank for the stock location--why stap a bomb on each side of your blazer??.Its bad enough us pickup owners have to live in fear of T-bone collisions--I wish my truck had a tank between the frame rails where it belonged in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked my saddle tank so much... I put another one on my truck.

If you fear your gas tank rupturing and catching you on fire you have a lot more to worry about first. More people were injured by loose crap bouncing around in the cab than the saddle tanks ever catching fire.

I actually like saddle tanks... I think it's one of the best spots for gas tanks on a truck without gusseting the piss around the tank.

You can't put a truck tank on a K5. There is no room because there is no rise in the floor like a truck.

15. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I posted the pics on webshots-I still can't get pics to work directly. These are actually 13gal boat tanks instead of the p/u tanks but they fit perfectly. There is a cylanoid on each tank hooked to a switch on the dash so i can go from right or left or main. One suggestion I can give is when you install the tanks hook up a gauge for the tanks. I still haven't put one on and have to go by mileage which can get real interesting.

http://community.webshots.com/user/mtnman210

16. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Won't the year of blazer make a difference? '78 and newer have the front & rear seat floors the same, but earlier the rear seat floor is the same as cargo floor. Thus the '77 back blazers would be easier than '78 and newer.

I point this out because mtnman210 has a '77, and yours is a '79.

Am I wrong? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

open the door on a truck sometime. the floor is right up against the seat. this is to clear the tank. the blazer floor is about 10-12" away from the seat.

18. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

see how far back the fillers are on the LONG bed
    [​IMG]

see the tanks come all the way up to the bed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Won't the year of blazer make a difference? '78 and newer have the front & rear seat floors the same, but earlier the rear seat floor is the same as cargo floor. Thus the '77 back blazers would be easier than '78 and newer.

I point this out because mtnman210 has a '77, and yours is a '79.

Am I wrong? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you're right with my 77 the back seat and cargo area are the same level but higher than the front. it gives a little more room than the newer ones.

20. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

So what year blazer would be a good donar for a 1/2 ton shortbed stepside? Were they all the same size tanks in the blazers? I was thinking about a 2" body lift in the near future too, maybe I'd have enough room.