Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will stock U-bolts from a 72 fit stock 12b/d44 on a 75?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by atlantak-5er, Jan 26, 2004.

1. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

I am getting rid of my rear blocks and need to know if the stock U bolts from a 72 will work in stock configuration on my 75 12 bolt so I can install my flip kit. I think the d44 u bolts will be the same.

Thanks.

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The stock u-bolts on a '72 will be the upside-down square style. That design isn't the best because it reduces your ground clearance with bracket and nuts hanging below the axle.

They will physically fit, because both '72 & '75 12b axles have 3" tubes.

You will have to check the '75 D44 to see if it has 3" or 2.75" dia axle tubes. I was not able to use the same u-bolts between my '71 and '77 D44 because the difference in tube diameter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

Thanks, so guess I need some stock ones from a 73-79 w/ 12 bolt. If anyone hase some laying around, I am interested!

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's really recomended to replace U-bolts and not reuse them. Can't really get a proper torque on a used rusty bolt.

Driveshaft Service up off 41 in Kennesaw is about the cheapest place and he can make any length you need. Any of the 4x4 shops can get you pretty Rancho's but it will be about twice as expensive.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Just paint them right away. After we washed the oil off and set them in the sun to dry they had a light coat of rust with-in a couple of hours. It was one of those sticky summer days, though. On a serious note, those guys are great to work w/ and have quick turn around, usually "while you wait". Big Moe's Spring Shop by Six Flaggs is also good.