Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will the 83-84 Grille fit an 85?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1985_K5_Silverado, Mar 2, 2006.

1. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Will the 83-84 grill (for a 4 headlamp K5) fit a 4 headlamp '85 K5? I couldn't remember if it would or not (tried a search).

2. absolute

absolute Registered Member

3. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

yep

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

Great, thanks! I found a cheap one to replace my cracked grille. The 83-84 grille is scratched up, but otherwise sharp (it's going to get blasted to etch and rattle-canned flat-black anyway, same with the headlamp bezels).

5. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Umm, just a suggestion, but blasting might be excessive, im mean, only if want to use it. Scotch brite pad will work, but I think blasting will eat a hole in it real quick.

6. 1985_K5_Silverado

Not sand-blasting, just grit-blasting for a light etch. I've done that to a lot of thin plastic parts to prep for epoxy bonding. I agree that SB would chew it up.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not to be the lone stick in the mud, but at some point the lower metal trim piece that extends under the grill changed, and the grill mounting changed as well. I'm *fairly* certain this change was in '85 with the grille design change.

8. 1985_K5_Silverado

In that case, I'll cancel it, since you're semi-famous for knowing what you're talking about. Thanks!

9. 1985_K5_Silverado

Do you mean the "lower grille panel"? I hope not, since LMC says that's the same from 83-88. They also show the radiator support as the same from 81-88 as well as that vertical support.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't know what the correct name is, it's the metal piece that spans the underside of the grille from fender to fender.

At some point the mounting of the grille to that piece changed. The difference is that on one style, the two lower corner mounting tabs extend out the sides, behind the headlight bezel. On the other style, those tabs are behind the grille itself.

If you are dealing with LMC on this, they should be able to just pull the part and look at it. IIRC, the grilles also changed (in looks) '82-83, so that would be another possible time the change could have occurred.

Dealing with trucks this old, pieces have been moved around a lot, I just know for a fact that piece did change, which doesn't allow an '81-87 across the board grille interchange.

I'll be the first to say I'm not always right, but I also have no qualms saying that literature often times is wrong as well, and doing your own research typically saves hassle and expense.

If you want a grille, check out "certi-fit"(sp?) I paid right around $25 for my '85 grille. Needed a bit of trimming of their grille to fit the Chev emblem off my original grille, but that small amount of work with a razor blade was still worth it compared to the amount of money I saw other replacement grilles going for.