Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will the frustration ever end? Doubler crossmember issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, May 2, 2006.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

well, I was giddy with excitement since Jesse Claus made a delivery. Got my new front HAD driveshaft delivered and I was anxious to install it. I have a built 700r4 and a D60 front swapped into my 76 Blazer with a doubler setup, NP203/NP205 stock clocking. I knew my front crossmember was going to be in the way of the front driveshaft. After begging repeatedly for any company to produce a doubler crossmember like 4x4Iron used to, I gave up. Then I was able to buy a fabbed up one from Kid Jethro seen below:

[​IMG]

I test fit the crossmember and found that it hit the corner of the tranny pan. So, I had to notch it. To be sure I didn't lose any structural integrity, I welded in a piece across the top strap to be safe. I cleaned it up and painted it all ready to go when the driveshaft came in. The driveshaft arrives and I do the install. Now, I'm happier than a pup with two peters because this front driveshaft is the shiznit. 42 degree CV extra long slip, 1410 yoke on the front, etc. I get the driveshaft installed and it looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I go to install the custom crossmember and low and behold, it no fit. The BFMF 42 degree CV is to large for the opening in the custom crossmember. So, I try and throw back on the stock crossmember thinking it might be close. Not a go either. The CV damn near rests on the crossmember and with any droop, it will hit.

So, I'm back to square one on a doubler crossmember. I'm tearing my hair out on this. I wish ORD or anybody would cowboy up and make one. I may have to do it myself but my welding skills are just average at best. If it isn't one thing.......it's another on this project.........

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, I can't weld like Jethro -- that man makes the welder sing like Satriani makes the guitar sing -- but if you'd have ASKED ... and had all the pieces there :haha:

Anyway, ping me sometime if you like, I can do that for ya.

-- A

3. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

How would the stock one work, with 1" spacers (down)? That is if its the "W". And/or clocking.

4. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Your issues explain why it is hard to build a bolt on crossmember that will work with every setup, just to many different combinations to make it practical.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

sweet shaft man! how much did that 42*cv set you back? how much lift are you running? hows your exhuast going to work?

im looking to run almost the exact same set you you've got pictured 700r4/doubler with long tubes. if you are able to find someone who will make you a crossmember that will work let me know, im insterested in one as well!

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Purdy d-shaft.... :waytogo:

Consider the possibility of running w/ just the rear crossmember.... :ignore:

Marv

Last edited: May 2, 2006
  7. Desert Rat

Dremu, what are you going to build for me? I have the Jethro crossmember but it isn't going to work. I'm thinking that I am going to have to make my own custom crossmember. I am running TC 6" springs up front and about 8" of lift in the back with 4" TC springs and an ORD shackle reversal. For Muddybuddy, I have the Doug's Header (Doug Thorley) and they originally hit the rear spring shackle (ORD heavy duty greasables). I had to bend the headers over a bit (See here: http://http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164736 ) The exhaust pipes will fit up and over the NP205 with some bending. The front shaft was pricey since I had to swap in the 1410 yoke on the D60 as well as the NP205 yoke from HAD,and it has the 42 degree greasable CV. It was under a grand though.

8. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Maybe im just not looking hard enough, but in those pics, it seems like the cv has a suffecient amount of room.

9. dremu

I'll build you your freaking custom crossmember you've been grousing about for months. I got skillz, yo. :D

-- A

10. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Well if Dremu is posting up then I know you are in the bay area. Just to give you another option www.pacificfab.net.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dude, if your welding skillz suck (don't worry, mine do to) just fab up a crossmember that will work and tack everything in place... then take it to a friend who is a guru or to a welding shop and have them do it. If there is no fit-up, cleaning or anything to do... it shouldn't cost much or take very long... and you'd have an adapter that was perfect for your application.

j

12. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yo...Dremu is the king of BootyFab yo!!!

Seriously though...there is a reason ord doesn't make a doubler xmember. There are way to many variations to fit everybodys custom creation. But...thats what built not bought is all about...you have local ck5 members like aaron....that have a welder and skills...and is willing to lay on his back and figure it out and then do some cuttin and welding and have a solution to your problem. I'd say problem solved.

DW

13. Desert Rat

Aaron is far too willing to lay on his back..........:haha: I'll figure out something I guess. I like the idea of cutting everything up, mocking it up, tacking it, and then having a weld guru do it. The only issue I have is getting the rubber mounts just right. I think the stock design was done that way for a reason. They have the rubber go through the larger hole in the crossmember with a metal sleeve for the bolt to go through it for a reason. Better flex and vibration isolation. I'm thinking though that some of the body mounts do the same thing and maybe I can use them. Maybe I am just being too anal........ The network at work keeps blocking the popup for the contact info for Pacific Fabrication. Where exactly are they? For Citizen Rider, that CV is very close to the front stock crossmember if I bolt it up. Then the angle of the shaft will hit it.

14. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

15. Desert Rat

I used to live in Morgan's Gulch. Up off of Llagas Rd. I'd be willing to drive just about anywhere for somebody with some excellent fab skills that wouldn't result in financial sodomy. Now I am up more your way. Unfortunately, Fabworx is over across the bay. I wish somebody had a good fab shop around Dublin or the Tri-Valley.

16. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

Is your 205 tapped on the passenger side for a mounting bracket? My 203 setup was ,and the 205 I got happened to have the bolt holes on the side for a mounting bracket that connects to the framerail. Just an idea... at least so you can drive it until you figure out what to do about the crossmember. :dunno:

17. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I find that strangely amusing.

18. dremu

Thank you Doug. I think :haha:

Btw, Doug, meet Doug. Doug, you'll find that Doug doesn't trust my welding skills yet, and likes to spend money, whether he admits it or not, and I keep not taking money from him.

But we DID get that Blazer started, out of his driveway and off to HiPi before he went postal :haha:

-- A

19. Desert Rat

And I get to answer thousands of questions from HP a month as a result. Ah well, he is enjoying it anyways. I don't like wasting money, but I'm anal about having a high quality product on a rig that is going to be taking me in the middle of east BF egypt a lot. Call me silly, but I don't do the Rubicon where you damn near have a a train of fully equipped rigs happen along every 10 minutes. I go where others don't and like it that way. Besides smurf boy, I think you've made out quite well thank you.....:rolleyes: :D

20. Desert Rat

My old 205 was, but the one I had shipped from ORD doesn't have the holes tapped for the side mount. Besides, it now sits up much higher and I would have to fab up something else to go down to the frame anyways. I'm thinking I will just have to grow a pair and weld my own, maybe with smurf boy's help..........:D He is pretty good at wiring for a red headed step-child I will have to admit....