Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

, will the plug lookin wire on top of dist. reach, can i find a longer one if not

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Jun 21, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just bought the ballast resistor for my unilite dist. and i dont know which way it goes??? what side is what, theres just a black line on one side that looks like it was put there with a magic marker? is there a differance in sides. i thought it would come with some instructions or somthing??

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  2. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Resisters are not directional, it can go on either way.

Eric M.

3. down4thakrown

thx thought so but, wasnt sure

4. down4thakrown

do i have to worry about the resistor gettting wet if so could i put some of liquid shrink wrap people use to fix exposed wires?
    thxx

5. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Yes and no.

REsistors heat up. So i wouldnt' use a shrink wrap.

But i also would try to shield it a little, or put it somewhere that it probably won't get wet.

6. down4thakrown

i was thinkin about drilling a whole in the fire wall and lengthing the wires a little bit to run the ignition module, coil and resistor in the cab kinda tucked under dash. anybody see a prob. with this.

7. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

that resistor get pretty hot, inside wouldnt be my choice unless for shure nothing is going to touch it.minor splashes and wetness is ok but not drenched or submerged. it has to be left open to dissapate the heat so putting it in something isnt a good idea unless u have air flow and some heat resistance in the area around it. i mounted mine on the firewall next to dist and had very little mudd or water hit it and no probs the other stuff is fine inside if u have some air flow on coil, my 9000 set up gets fairly warm even though is away from engine heat

8. down4thakrown

i was goin to mount them on the inside with the coil, igntn, and resitor, in the middle of cab lined up with the tcase shifter, kinda under the dash\on the floor. about where that middle heater vent comes down. would it effect its performance lengthing the wires to reach this spot??

9. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

good wires,keep coil upright and i would say not at all. maybe others have more thoughts. is the concern ure going to dunk them? is it for a mudder or u going to need a snorkel?

10. down4thakrown

wouldnt call a mudder so much but, you know how it goes when you see a nice big mud hole and the last thing you wanna be thinkin about is hows the ignition stuff goin to hold up then find out a few passes later that it doesnt and your stuck waitin on a coil, or module. i've been thinkin of making a snorkel outtat some pvc tubing but havn't had much time to put thoughts into action. trying to get the thing running first. thx for the info

11. down4thakrown

i dont think that the wire that looks like a plug wire goin from the top of dist. to the top of the coil will reach to where i wanna put the distributor. where can i find a longer wire??? does auto zone sell the plug wires i need???

12. down4thakrown

that wire that goes to the top of the coil from the top of the dist. that looks like a plug wire, i heard is just a regular spark plug wire. is this corrrect or i might of missed somthing
    reminder: unilite distributor

13. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

it is the same, i customed mine to fit out of sparkwire(mine unilite breakerless and mallory promaster coil). remeber-it is electrically same distrbtr just routs the voltage. same note it is voltage that passes and not lots of current so 8mm wire or larger ofa decent quality wire will be fine for it imo. the distrbr isnt where the prob will be anyways it will be ure type coil

14. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

i think painless wiring and msd(P/Ns 8211(red) 8212(black))both make a bulkhead fitting for plug/coil wires it seems much better than just one wire and a grommet

15. down4thakrown

i got an accel coil, its the set up the big pappa was sellin. so what your sayin is u made your own wire goin to from the dist. to coil

16. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i had a set of make ure own wires and used the longest one for the coil and a spare for the extra. my fire melted 4 wires so i have 4 extra spares-well 2 now :blush: dont ask