Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will the real MVP please step up?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Apr 30, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Just like in Game 2... Kobe ownz Nash when the chips are down. Looks like Phil's perfect record in opening series is going to remain intact...

Game 2 facial...

[​IMG]

game 4 winning shot...

[​IMG]

The defense was doing its job, Kobe just elevated and drilled it with a guy right in his face. One more for Kobe's resume, when it comes to talking about who the best clutch shooter of all time is.

j

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

It would have to be Jordan hands down.

3. jekbrown

Remember that commerical where Jordan says he missed like 65 potentially game winning shots? I think Nike + Gatorade + the media + Jordan making some big shots = best of all time for some people. Kobe does it with as much regularity as anyone who has ever played, including MJ. Hell, he had two last second shots in this one game. :grin:

The two biggest MJ shots they show are the 1 vs Cleveland from the free-throw line area... and the one against Utah (mj's last chicago points). Both of which were MUCH easier and much less contested shots than the one Kobe made today. How about the last game of the year 2 years ago vs Portland? Nailed a three pointer at the end of regulation to force overtime... and another... over the top of a 7-footer to win the game by 1 with no time left in OT. :thumb:

j

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Don't try Your liberal tactics on Me Mr. It ain't happening:wink1: I remember Jordan had a few more clutch shots than that. I mean He did play in the regular season as well as winning championships. Just as Reggie Miller and Patrick Ewing. Those two chumps will back up what I'm saying.

5. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm partial to Reggie Miller for clutch shots.

6. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

reggie miller and MJ were the best at clutch shots and major team players :bow: . kobe isn't worthy of being talked about in the same sentance as these guys . He's a selfish non team player , a stupid uneducated bastid and I hope he blow's his knee out soon so we won't have to hear about him anymore . Steve Nash does so many other things that contribute to the team . I think L james of the cavs would own kobe anytime and is the one to watch in the NBA . kobe is a punk :D .

7. jekbrown

One thing people seem to forget and/or gloss over is that MJ didn't develope his long range game (over 17 feet) until he was quite a bit older than Kobe was. Hell, Kobe had his outside shot going at an age where MJ was still wearing super-short baby-blue shorts for North Carolina.

Me thinks some people just don't like Kobe....

j

8. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

As much as I dislike him, he is going to go down as one of the best. I'd still rather have Nash on my team. All I can think about is how good Dallas would be if they were able to hold on to Nash this season. Dallas still has a good shot to take it though.

9. jekbrown

Is it me, or is Nash protected by the NBA media machine... seriously, I've seen a ton of NBA/NFL guys who if they lost as many playoff series as Nash they would have the "he can't get it done in the big games" thing hanging around his neck. Why does no one say this about Nash? Lost in Dallas... losing in Phoenix.

j

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I like Riley Johnson for clutch shots.

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Now you've got it...............what's there to like? :confused:

A self centered egotistical (like most of the rest of the NBA) ball hog with a criminal past................:haha: yeah, what's not to like.

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

KB is a great player and so is Nash! As like said after game 4 on TV not only is the Suns playing LA but the refs too.... I'm sorry the other night two of the Lakers players should have been kicked out for flagrant fouls.... Koby has learned to pass the ball in the playoffs and it has helped his team. But remember it's a team game not just one player. and befor the playoff it was just The Koby Show... I'm supprised that Nash is to be named the MVP again! But like someone else said I like Nash better than Koby... and I liked him more before his running in CO with the young lady...

13. jekbrown

Aloof and un-social and "self centered" are not necessarily the same thing. Other than his wife and kids, Kobe is ALL about basketball. I dont think he really cares about movie premiers, fast cars, or bling... just hoops. Whats wrong with that?

Never hear people give Jordan crap for this... and he led the NBA in shot attempts for 9 years straight...

Oh brother... that chick was all about the benjamins... and unlike MANY guys in the NBA its highly likely that that was the only time Kobe did anything like that. Most of those clowns are hookin' it up with multiple chicks every road game (James Worthy / Magic Johnson / Wilt anyone?!)... Kobe did it once, and got screwed.

j

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Next thing you’re going to say “Kobe’s $HLT doesn't stink!” Get real... He's not just about his family and B-Ball, if that was true he would have never been accused of rape or consensual sex! Take him off the pedestal and get real! I will not take anything away from Kobe’s game on the court. Since the playoffs he has raised his game by playing team ball… But Raja Bell and the Suns have hampered his game and forced him out of his normal game and you can see it in Kobe’s game….

15. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Kobe couldn't hold MJ's jockstrap...

Noone could stop MJ going to the hole and his sh*t getting there was hands down, the best ever... Let alone his late career long range ability, desire to win, etc...

16. jekbrown

Actually, what I was really saying is that pretty much all professional athletes have stinky poopoo. A basketball fan who likes (insert anyone here) on (insert any team here) sitting around saying Kobe sucks because he hooked up with a groupie is just a hypocrit. If you dislike that about Kobe to the point where you are able to (in your own mind) justify saying that the guy has no skillz, then pretty much all the rest of the NBA greats in history are out of the running also.

yeah, in this day and age there are no women out there looking to get rich by screwing an athlete twice (once in the hotel room, once in court!). That NEVER happens... ever. Yeah. And that chick who went up to Mike Tysons hotel room at 2am wearing next to nothing was going to sell him some girl scout cookies. Good lord man, if anyone needs to "get real", its you. The word is out... **** an athlete, call your lawyer... string it out for a year or so, and get paid a million bucks to "go away". Wilt/Magic etc didn't have to deal with it because women hadn't learned the power of the sexual assault charge / lawyers at that time. I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts that Kobe did the groupie thing a LOT less than most pro athletes. If anything he proved how inept he was at it, not that he was an old hand who just finally got caught.

I wouldn't say that. Bell is a decent defender, but he ain't that good. Kobe is passing out of traps and spreading the ball around. Shot attempts are down, assists are up. You can't say shot attempts are down just because Bell is on him... Kobe can (and has) thrown up shots against any defender. Hell, sometimes he goes in the lane 1 on 5 and still gets the ball up. The Lakers have height over the Suns at all 5 starting positions... because of that they are posting up a lot more with Lamar and Kwame. Thats the offensive game plan the Zen Master came up with and Kobe is following it. Big difference between that and Bell shutting Kobe down.

j

17. jekbrown

oh brother, talk about putting a guy up on a pedestal. Jordan was a great player, but media machine + nike + gatorade + 50000 commercials = everyone thinking Jordan was the best ever. Its easily arguable that he's not... but some idiots just laugh at the idea that he's not the best. Russel had what, 10-11 rings? Wilt averaged 50 a game for an entire season. When MJ would score 50, fanboys would cream their pants. That was "just another game" for Wilt. Kobes 62 (in 3 quarters!) and 81 this year are every bit as impressive as any single game scoring accomplishment MJ ever had. In the 100 point game Wilt had, there was some cheesy crap going on... like Wilt's guards fouling the other team in the backcourt during the 4th quarter so they could get the back back faster and Wilt could score again. We're not talking about the last minute of the game, I mean like the last 10 mins. In Kobe's 81 point game he was carrying the team, leading them on a comeback to win at the end. There was no garbage time in that game... and Kobe still throws down 81.

If that is the case, why did Jordan ever shoot a shot that wasn't a dunk. After all, "no one" could stop him from getting there. :rolleyes: He either was stopable, or he screwed his own team by trying lower percentage shots just for the fun of it.

"late career"... good qualifier... his range sucked in his younger days. I give him credit for improving his long game, but Kobe's is better at a younger age. Kobe doesn't have any "desire to win" issues either.

j

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Man you are funny... Your got your head so far up Kobe's a$$ it not funny.... and talking about praising someone, you should hear yourself... Yes kobe has more assists, because he is being double teamed and STOPPED him! He is playing smart and has changed his play by passing the ball to his team mates (like you said that are taller than the Suns). I said he is playing team ball. That is whey the lakers are up in the series. The refs need to called it both ways, like the sports casters have all said. They suspend Bell for his last night but nothing happened to eather Brown and Walters fouls in game two... get real
    He knows that their are women out there that want to trap Players (thing of the past) or claim sexual assult to get money.... He married first, second he should have keep his pants on knowing this!

19. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Kobe is good, but Detroit is too much of a team to be stopped. DEEETROIT BASKETBALLL

20. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

speaking of clutch shots, LeBron James got another one tonight. Cavs are up 3-2 in the series with the wizards.

personally, I think Lebron oughta be the MVP..