Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will these axle shafts work?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChevyCaGal, Aug 13, 2001.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Will the long axles shafts from a Dana 44 fit a 10 bolt? I need some 30 spline ones and this guy is trying to convince me that they will work fine but I dunno and figured you guys would! Thanks! [​IMG]

C'mon captain break pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

2. DaveDave

DaveDave 1/2 ton status

NO, stub shaft are the same but inner shaft are different

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hd_dave are you sure about that. I know normally the 10 bolt has 28 splines as opposed to the D44's 30, but she has a 30 spline 10 bolt. Is the diameter or spline depth different between the 30 spline 10 bolt and D44? I would assume if the spline count, diameter, and depth are the same, as well as the overall length, they would work. ChevyCaGal you may want to measure your 10 bolt shafts or get the measurements and compare them with the D44 dimensions. If they are identical, and splines are the same, go for it.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I don't know. [​IMG]

No prohibiting allowed!!!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Somebody here posted pics of both the 30 spline 10 bolt axles and the D44 30 spline axles and you could see the diference clearly. The lengths are different and the pitch of the splines is different as well. They do not interchange.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks Rene, I must have missed that post. Shame on me[​IMG].

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I forget what year they went to 30 splines, but I just about to junk my 87 front 10B and if you wanted the shafts they are your's for price of shipping... I thought 87 was the first year for 30 splines, but might of been somthing like 89... I dunno

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

8. tRustyK5

That post was at least 10 months ago...
    Good info to know as the question comes up every now and then.

Rene

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

NO!!!!!

I went through this ordeal about 3 years ago when trying to find replacement shafts. Most of the bigger axle shops didn't even know a front 30-spline 10 bolt existed (even Stephen Watson at ORD), and a couple of other places even tried to sell me Dana 44 shafts.

The inner shafts are different lengths, have different spline pressure angle (the angle the splines are cut at), and the inner diff seal surface is in a different area between the Dana 44 and 30-spline 10-bolt.

On the short side inner shaft, the 10-bolt shaft is about 1" longer than the 44 shaft. On the long side inner shaft, the 10-bolt shaft is about 1" shorter.

The 30-spline 10 bolt shafts are a little harder to come by and a bit more expensive from junk yards, but you can find them.

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Did a search, cause I remember this coming up a while back.... 30 splines started in '89......

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok everybody, here are the specs on the D44 and 10B shafts:

D44: right shaft 36.13"
    left shaft 18.31"

10B: right shaft 35.46"
    left shaft 19.15"

ALL outer shafts are interchangable with the others.

<font color=blue>Daddy told me while learning to pee......"if you shake it more than twice, then you are playing with it!!!"</font color=blue>

12. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

Geeze!........... i have a pair of 30 spline 10's , that no one want's to buy....GRRrrrrrr!

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy

Built for <font color=blue>Function</font color=blue> <font color=red>NOT</font color=red> <font color=blue>Fashion</font color=blue>

13. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Well hey how much? I might buy them... but I think shipping would bite from Canada... Hey Rene, mind driving me these things sometime next week? [​IMG]

C'mon captain brake pedal... quit looking for the parade and drive!! [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; MARK 1:17 &gt;&lt;&gt;

14. tRustyK5

Steph, I think you should drive up! Vancouver island is beautiful and i'm hella done with road trips for a while I think![​IMG]

Whats wrong with a 900 mile road trip? Hell, for axles you could use the neon...[​IMG][​IMG]

Rene

15. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

I'm asking 300.00 canadian....For the front and rear....(3.42 gears)......just cause these things are hard to find here. Cost me $100.00 for a used shaft for the long side....doh!

And yes the Island IS a beautiful place to visit......i've even seen tRusty here once.

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy

Built for <font color=blue>Function</font color=blue> <font color=red>NOT</font color=red> <font color=blue>Fashion</font color=blue>

16. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You can use D44 shafts, that's how we started on Jim Allen's project Stinky. They come from a Ford and a Jeep, and I don't remember the #'s, but it can be done. The spline pressure angle is different, but it works ok.
    You're right, I had no idea GM even had a 30 spline front till the last couple years. They're kind of hard to find!

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD