Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Will these wheels work

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wayne, May 14, 2004.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I need new wheels to replace my cracked 16" rims on my Burb. I like these and was wondering if anybody knows for sure if they will work on an 87 2wd Burb.

Here is a pic of them from Steve Fox's Burb.
    [​IMG]

2. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

they will fit on the truck... however there is some guy on ebay who claims special lug nuts are required to get the center caps on (this is from reading info on the wheels.... i have never actually tried this!)
    some else correct me if i wrong please

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Most new trucks ( and cars ) from gm that have ceter caps ( and hubcaps ) have the outer top of lug nuts threaded and some fake plastic lug nut covers thread on to that to hold on cap/cover. I think allthough the bolt pattern fits, the new lugs are metric. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

This info looks correct so far. The only thing I can add is that they are very narrow (6.5" or so???) and the offset may be a little to negative depending on what your after. My 33" Duelers are pushing it on the width, but fit perfectly on my HD.

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I almost got those too but I decided against it. One of my buddies photo chopped them onto my Burb and they didn't look right.

Grim and I both got this style and really like them. I guess Grim got them for around 400 which is and awesome price. I got mine for just under 350 with caps and nuts but I had a bitchen Hookup.
    [​IMG]

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

They will fit. They are only 6 1/2 inches wide. Center hole and backspacing are the same as all other GM 8 lug wheels. They do use lug nuts with threads on the outside to hold the center caps on, and the factory lugs are metric. You can buy 9/16" lugs with the correct thread on the outside to use the center caps. The center caps do not have any holes in the middle for front lockouts, so you would have to cut them out if you want to use them on the front of a solid axle truck.

7. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I installed a set of the steel wheels with stainless overlay(chrome) on a '88 crewcab. Looks wise they seem to fit the body style better than the PYO aluminums. Perfect width for running 235/85R-16s on a tow rig.

Wheel vintiques(?) is who I got my lug nuts thru, IIRC. They are out of CA. Currenty I have a set of factory center caps on my weld wheels on the '91 suburban. They look much better than the weld centers.

The PYOs are definitely lighter than the steels thou.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The stock rims on it now are 6.5" wide and it has new BFG Commercial TA's which work well on a tow rig. I really like the style of those wheels and think they will look great on a black Burb.

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Check them first (I can check for you tomarrow at work if need be) Just mesure the BS and compare them.

Newer GM wheels have more BS than the older set ups. Often the wheels cause the tires to rub the springs, or balljoints and other wierd stuff. The pattern is the same, you can use your 9/16 lugs but the cap screws won't work and the lugs off of the newer trucks are a metric 14mm. I don't know if there is a screw type 9/16 lug however.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I just couldn't find any for the right price. What I was finding is take offs with them with the 245/ 75 and if anything I wanted larger diameter and not smaller. Stock is 235/85. That's almost a 32 inch tire STOCK.
    Between running into not finding any without tires for the right price and the added expense for the lug nuts I just went with Eagle 59's for $375 for everything. www.rim-zone.com I printed that and made 4wdp price match. Like $180 off there normal. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif [​IMG]

11. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Yes, they will fit. I've seen them on one.

12. Blazer1970

[ QUOTE ]
    Newer GM wheels have more BS than the older set ups. Often the wheels cause the tires to rub the springs, or balljoints and other wierd stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true of the newer 6 lug wheels. It is not true with the 8 lug wheels. All GM 8 lug wheels have the same lug pattern, offset, and center hole size.

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Newer GM wheels have more BS than the older set ups. Often the wheels cause the tires to rub the springs, or balljoints and other wierd stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true of the newer 6 lug wheels. It is not true with the 8 lug wheels. All GM 8 lug wheels have the same lug pattern, offset, and center hole size.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your saying they are the same as what I already have?

14. Blazer1970

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So your saying they are the same as what I already have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes